Idea of extending motorway towards West Norfolk has 'quietly died', council leader claims
Plans to extend the M11 close to the West Norfolk border have “quietly died”, a council chief says.
Cambridge City Council leader Lewis Herbert claims some projects including extending the motorway to the Wisbech area, are no longer being considered as priorities by the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority.
The authority initially set aside £1.25 million for what it insists is an important “long-term” project.
If it happened, it would roughly halve the distance between West Norfolk drivers and their nearest motorway.
But, Mr Herbert, who sits on the combined authority’s board, told a city council committee on Monday: “The dream there would be an M11 running through Fenland has quietly died because there is no funding.
“I think there is still a serious risk money is being spent on schemes that will never happen.”
Cambridgeshire mayor James Palmer has been urged by some to focus on projects which would definitely deliver rather than ambitious schemes which may get no further than initial studies.
But he says the scheme remains a long-term ambition and fits his aim to generate growth through improving transport infrastructure.
He said: “I have worked to keep this scheme under the noses of Government and last year the Department for Transport said it was reviewing extending the M11 through to the Humber.
“Investment in this scheme would repay itself many times over and I continue to raise the M11 extension with Ministers when I meet with them.”