Home   News   Article

Inquest determines South Wootton woman Donna Marie Leadley died of accidental oramorph overdose

More news, no ads


A coroner ruled death by accidental death due to a drug overdose which caused cardiovascular respiratory arrest.

An inquest was held for Donna Marie Leadley 52, today, a woman from South Wootton who died on July 7 this year.

Mrs Leadly was prescribed oramorph, which is liquid morphine, as well as co-codamol for pain.

Norwich Coroner's Court. (49513382)
Norwich Coroner's Court. (49513382)

She had been in regular contact with her GP for the previous year concerning her pain and kidney issues.

She suffered from kidney disease and was undergoing medical treatment.

In the weeks leading up her death Mrs Leadley had been to accident and emergency,

She was issued low grade opiods for her pain including codeine phosphate and co-codamol.

She was discovered by her partner Christopher Braithewaite, near an empty oramorph bottle.

Her GP said: "I prescribed the oramorph to use if the co-codamol wasn't working for the pain, and to titerate the dose.

"Mrs Leadly showed no signs of wanting to self harm."

Mr Braithwaite said: "I had just bought Donna a puppy as her dog had recently died and we had planned to go for dinner, she was a happy person and in a good place.

"Her GP had called to say her kidney results had been good, so I struggled to see how this had happened."

Mrs Leadley had gone for a walk with her mother the day before entering hospital and didn't complain of any pain or seem unhappy.

Upon arriving in hospital Mrs Leadley was given adrenalin and naloxone to counter the effect of the oromorph.

However she pronounced dead on July 7.

The coroner said: "I have to agree with the cause of death signed off by the doctors at the time.

"That Donna was not used to the medication and had not built up a tolerance, so the cause was drug overdose which caused cardiovascular respiratory arrest."

Oramorph is liquid morphine, and is far stronger than opioids commonly prescribed such as co-codamol and codeine phosphate.

Overdose can result in respiratory depression and death.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More