Home   News   Article

Inquest hears Terrington St Clement man died at King's Lynn hospital after being found on Hunstanton beach

More news, no ads


A 62-year-old man died at Lynn's hospital after he was found on Hunstanton beach, an inquest has heard.

Timothy Wood, of Terrington St Clement, died at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) on March 10, 2020 due to multiple traumatic injuries.

This morning's inquest heard the hospital has made changes to its mental health liaison notes system following this case.

Norfolk Coroner's Court
Norfolk Coroner's Court

Mr Wood had been discharged from the QEH on February 28 after being admitted four days earlier due to a medication overdose. He had been prescribed anti-depressants prior to this.

The inquest was told Mr Wood had attempted suicide while in hospital as he could not stand his abdominal pain.

Having been discharged from hospital with a support plan from the community mental health team, Mr Wood was reported missing and subsequently found critically injured on the beach on March 10.

Mr Wood was airlifted to hospital by the air ambulance, and his car was found parked on the top of the Clifftop Car Park. The inquestvheard there was no indication to anyone as to why Mr Wood had taken his life.

During the inquest, the QEH was questioned over its record keeping after a doctor had been unaware Mr Wood's whiteboard had been updated after his discharge.

A member of staff said: "Every morning, the notes will be opened and entered into. That was not the case before. I believe the record [Mr Wood's] was closed on March 3. The record would not have been closed without full agreement."

He had been given contact details for the mental health charity Mind and other support numbers upon being discharged, and was said to be feeling better than when he had taken the overdose.

A statement was read out in court by Mr Wood's wife, a former nurse, who felt there was a lack of duty of care and a "complete catalogue of errors leading to his death".

She added: "He was a very quiet, gentle man who suffered from the condition ME (chronic fatigue syndrome] for many years. He became the love of my life and soulmate.

"He would suffer from fatigue which would leave him exhausted and he has not worked since I knew him. We enjoyed being together at home and he did not socialise due to his condition. He enjoyed watching football."

She continued: "My life will never be the same again and I will never recover from this life-changing and traumatising event. My days are filled with tears and sorrow and I do not know where to go from here."

After his wife suffered a heart attack in 2019, Mr Wood became very withdrawn and started to lose weight. He had also been affected by the deaths of his nephew and presenter Caroline Flack who he enjoyed watching on television.

The inquest heard he had been agitated when suffering with abdominal pain, leading to the overdose which caused him to be admitted to the accident and emergency department at the QEH in February.

Area coroner Yvonne Blake gave a short form conclusion of suicide.

Mr Wood had previously been the manager of an electrical warehouse, and met his wife in 1991.

The Samaritans helpline can be contacted for free on 116 123.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More