King’s Lynn driver Breeze heads two-horse race with another big haul

Carl Breeze Oulton Park 6.15 action
Carl Breeze Oulton Park 6.15 action
Have your say

Carl Breeze continued his stranglehold at the top of the Michelin Ginetta GT4 SuperCup standings with another big points haul at Oulton Park over the weekend.

The HHC Motorsport racer bagged second spot in Saturday’s first race before claiming victory in Sunday’s action in what is fast becoming a two-horse race for the title.

It took Breeze’s podium tally to ten out of a possible 11 this season, but, more importantly, it keeps him 33 points clear of closest rival Jamie Orton.

Breeze said: “It has been another very good weekend for me because points-wise Jamie only reduced the gap at the top by a point.

“In the grand scheme of things he would have been hoping to reduce my advantage by more so we will still go to Croft with a healthy lead.

“We had two really good battles. In the first race we pulled 16 seconds clear of the car in third, but I couldn’t force him into an error.

“On Sunday I managed to force him into a mistake and he tried to gain an unfair advantage when going back in front.

“At Croft if I can have another good weekend I will go into the summer break with the Championship lead.”

It was an HHC Motorsport top three clean sweep in qualifying again as Orton claimed his third qualifying pole position of 2015 with teammate Breeze alongside and Will Burns behind.

A storming start for Orton saw him hold off Breeze into Old Hall for the first time.

Breeze hassled Orton for most of the encounter and twice smashed the track record which he had held since 2012, but was unable to find a way past.

Orton started the second race from pole position, with his Ginetta G55 GT4 car angled to block Breeze off the line. But his lead was short-lived, as he overcooked the entry into turn one at the start of lap two and gifted the advantage to Breeze.

Orton took a huge gamble to reclaim the position after making contact with Breeze and diving up on the inside of the grass verge a few laps later.

Although Orton held on to the lead to the flag, he received a 1.4s penalty after the race and that handed the points to Breeze. The SuperCup reconvenes at Croft Circuit, in North Yorkshire, over the weekend of June 27.

Breeze thanks Bluechip, HHC Motorsport, Holbon Photography, Mr Snippers, Forma Exercise and Fitness, Graham and Leigh and @GPlummerMedia for their continued support.