The future of the site of the ill-fated Lynn incinerator must be secured within the next two years, a leading campaigner against the plan has warned.
Michael de Whalley, founder of King’s Lynn Without Incineration, made the comment during an election hustings in Gayton on Tuesday.
Although Cory Wheelabrator withdrew its application to build the plant in January, concerns remain that the technology could be revived again in the future.
The fears have been magnified by Norfolk County Council’s reluctance to sell the land to West Norfolk Council and the fact the site still remains allocated for some form of thermal waste treatment.
Mr de Whalley said he was worried about the prospect if the Conservatives, who pushed the scheme forward when they ran Norfolk County Council, win back control at the 2017 elections.
He said: “We need to see the fate of that site secured.”
But Toby Coke, chairman of Norfolk County Council’s environment, development and transport committee, said the technology had been ruled out of future waste plans.
He said: “Incineration is not on the agenda at all.”
However, Labour candidate Jo Rust said the original incinerator scheme had been proposed despite a public consultation which overwhelmingly rejected the idea in favour of greener alternatives.
She said: “We need to have assurances over what is going to happen to that land. We need a more sustainable way of dealing with our rubbish.”
Conservative Alistair Beales, a member of the ruling cabinet on West Norfolk Council, said he recognised the public’s concern over the issue and the reluctance of the county to sell the site while it develops its long-term plan.
But he added: “I don’t think it’s politically credible for incineration to come back onto the table.”