King’s Lynn man urged to stay away from bus station ‘trouble’

The crest above the entrance to King's Lynn Court in College Lane.
The crest above the entrance to King's Lynn Court in College Lane.
Share this article

Magistrates have urged a man to stay away from “trouble” after he admitted his part in an incident at Lynn’s bus station last month.

Jonathan Thompson, 51, of Merchants Terrace, London Road, Lynn, pleaded guilty to a charge of using threatening behaviour when he appeared in court yesterday.

He was given a 12 month conditional discharge, plus a £20 victim surcharge, following a disturbance at the interchange on March 16.

The incident happened amid an ongoing clampdown by police on anti-social behaviour in and around the bus station.

Passing sentence, presiding magistrate Stuart Hall told him: “People know there’s been a lot of problems around the bus station.

“It’s up to you, but I would urge you to stay away from there. It’s trouble.”

Alison Cotterill, prosecuting, earlier told the bench Thompson had been seen to be drunk when officers arrived at the scene.

He claimed that he had been assaulted, but did not want to make a formal complaint, the bench heard.

Although he was told to leave the area, Miss Cotterill said he continued shouting and swearing at another man and was seen to raise his crutch in a threatening manner.

Thompson, who represented himself in court, said he was trying to be “the Good Samaritan” and prevent the situation from escalating further.

He said his group, who had been drinking were approached by a woman he didn’t know who ran at one of his friends. He also claimed he had been pulled to the ground during the incident.

He said: “I was trying to stop her from lumping my mate. It all went Pete Tong.”

n In a separate hearing, a second man charged in connection with the incident denied an allegation of failing to comply with a police direction to leave the area.

Paul Cunningham, 41, of Park Road, Hunstanton, also pleaded not guilty to a separate charge of criminal damage.

But he did plead guilty to an allegation of possessing heroin. He also admitted being in breach of a suspended sentence order.

His case was adjourned until May 18.