King’s Lynn residents hit out as green becomes ‘eye sore’

Residents of Russett Close King's Lynn ANL-150623-121358009
Residents of Russett Close King's Lynn ANL-150623-121358009
0
Have your say

A neighbourhood is angry after a green has been turned into an “eyesore” by a developer.

People living in Russett Close, Gaywood, says Boyer Investments has show “complete disregard” by digging up the green on Monday.

The Peterborough-based firm has lodged a planning appeal after West Norfolk Council turned down its bid to build 95 homes on a site off the close and to use the green as an access road in March last year.

Residents say the planning inspector visited on Tuesday morning to find the green covered in rubble and soil.

David Reay, who lives on the close, said: “Local residents have been maintaining the green to keep it looking decent.

“On Monday, they came on site with a digger and dug a trench around the green and dumped dirt across the whole of the green. It looks like a building site, an absolute disgrace.

“What the developer has done now is show complete disregard to the community and created an eyesore. There was no need for it.”

Mr Reay said a previous fence had been destroyed by youths some time ago.

He said the trench is 1½ft wide and 2ft deep and the new fencing was installed on Tuesday.

Mr Reay said: “We have kept the green looking good as no-one else took any notice.

“We have now been told by a representative of Boyer that if the plans are not approved this time they will put up palisade fencing.”

North West Norfolk MP Henry Bellingham described the company’s actions as “disgraceful” and said he hoped the inspector would take the matter into account when delivering his ruling.

He said: “It’s deeply provocative on the part of Boyer Investments. I find it quite staggering.

“It’s sticking two fingers up to the residents. It’s a very stupid thing to do.”

A spokeswoman for West Norfolk Council said: “We had a report come in out of hours on Monday night and an officer went to site first thing Tuesday morning. A visual inspection was done and the material has been identified as cement bound asbestos - which is considered a low-risk type.

“Whilst no immediate action was required, due to the low risk and the fact that the area was being fenced off to the public, instruction was given to not disturb the site further. The developer’s consultant was contacted and has agreed to clear the material from site. We will continue to monitor to make sure this is done.”