LATEST NEWS - Man admits role in King’s Lynn disturbance

House on Wisbech Road King's Lynn with 2 boarded windows, house named The Oaks ANL-150226-133740009
House on Wisbech Road King's Lynn with 2 boarded windows, house named The Oaks ANL-150226-133740009
Have your say

A man has today, Friday, February 27, pleaded guilty to three charges in connection with a disturbance in South Lynn on Wednesday night.

Police announced this morning that William Mills, 30, of Wisbech Road, South Lynn, had been charged with assault, possession of an offensive weapon and criminal damage.

He pleaded guilty to all of the charges when he appeared before Lynn magistrates a short time ago.

Giles Beaumont, prosecuting, told the court the disturbance broke out following an argument in the multi-residency house between Mills and another resident over his failed attempt to fix her stereo.

Another resident, Dean Cooper then arrived at the property with his girlfriend who tried to calm the situation down.

But Mills pinned Mr Cooper in a corner and headbutted him in the face. CCTV footage also showed Mills standing at the top of a staircase and pointing a seven inch kitchen knife towards Mr Cooper.

Mr Beaumont said Mills then went outside, from where he threw a block of concrete through the window of Mr Cooper’s room before trying to climb through it. He was also seen to push a wheelie bin towards the door of the house, from which he threw rubbish towards Mr Cooper’s door.

The court heard Mills was then pursued down the road by a group of people carrying a golf club and other items.

During his interview, Mills admitted attacking Mr Cooper and said he had armed himself with a hammer as well as the knife. He said he had been very drunk at the time.

Ruth Johnson, mitigating, said her client had “resigned himself” to a prison sentence and was in a “state of chaos.”

She said Mills had lived at the property for the past six months and that there had been frequent personality clashes between residents in that period.

She added: “He describes it as having a roof over his head but little more.”

The court was also told that Mills is being supported by a worker from the Purfleet Trust, who has indicated she is prepared to continue working with him.

Magistrates committed the case to Norwich Crown Court for sentencing on a date yet to be fixed. Mills was remanded in custody.

Following the hearing, police have confirmed their investigation into the case is continuing.