Users of Downham Market Railway Station should allow more time, Lynn News letters
The railway was opened from Lynn to Downham in 1846 and extended to Ely during the next year when it joined up with a line from London. Thus London was connected to this thriving area of East Anglia.
During the intervening 173 years there has never been a bridge across the line at Downham. Access has always been by either the road at the level crossing, as now, or by a barrow crossing which was situated at the bottom of the sloping platform ends near to the level crossing.
As a result of the increasingly serious and frightening abuse of the warning signs for the barrow crossing by passengers, First Capital Connect, who operated nearly all the passenger trains at the time, together with Network Rail had no option but to close the crossing. There were daily instances, often in double figures, of idiots running across the line in front of the oncoming trains despite all the warnings.
Read moreYour Say
More by this authorLynn News Reporter
This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)