Home   News   Article

Lifeboat crews busy over Easter as missing child and collapsed woman among reported incidents at Hunstanton

More news, no ads


It proved to be a busy Easter weekend for the Hunstanton lifeboat service as they were called to multiple incidents including a missing child and people being blown out to sea in a dinghy.

The warm weather meant hundreds flocked to the coast, which resulted in emergency calls for the Royal National Lifeboat Institution.

On Sunday, the crew were informed of a missing child on Old Hunstanton beach.

After being put "on immediate readiness", the child was found and the crew were stood down.

Posting on social media, the RNLI then said a hovercraft had to be utilised after reports of an inflatable dinghy being blown out to sea off Heacham on Monday.

Her Majesty's Coastguard had requested the hovercraft after three people were left stranded on the dinghy.

After they were recovered, an ambulance and paramedic were called to attend to the three people.

Meanwhile, the RNLI were also dealing with a separate incident at the same time after a woman collapsed on the beach.

The RNLI said an ambulance was requested and the woman was "checked over by the crew".

The incident reportedly took place near the lifeboat station.

The RNLI were called to multiple incidents as hundreds enjoyed the warm weather at the beach over the Easter weekend
The RNLI were called to multiple incidents as hundreds enjoyed the warm weather at the beach over the Easter weekend

This was all after five rowers, travelling from Lynn to Gorleston, had to be towed back to shore on Saturday.

As previously reported by the Lynn News, the Norfolk BrOARds team, were training ahead of their 3,000 mile trans-Atlantic challenge next year when the incident occurred.

The RNLI post said: "The crew found them about two miles off Hunstanton struggling against wind and tide.

"The five persons were exhausted, [and] the lifeboat took them in tow and landed them on the beach opposite the lifeboat station.

"The local Coastguard and a local fisherman, Mr Loose, towed the boat across the beach to the safety above high tide, where it was recovered, and taken back to Lynn by road".

A post on the team's Facebook page said: "This afternoon we requested the assistance of Hunstanton Lifeboat. We had battled a higher than forecasted a strong easterly wind for 8 hours. It was not an easy decision to make & was not taken lightly, however it was the right decision in the circumstances.

"We would like to thank Hunstanton RNLI for their assistance and for the tea. Whilst we wanted to raise awareness of the incredible work the RNLI do, this wasn’t quite the way we intended to do it."

On Saturday, the RNLI were also called to two separate reports of people being cut off by the tide in Hunstanton.

However, both groups managed to get themselves to safety without assistance.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More