Lewisham-born man died at King's Lynn hospital after choking on food at Hunstanton care home
A 73-year-old, described as a "gentleman", died at Lynn's hospital after choking on his breakfast at a West Norfolk care home.
John Rodwell, born in Lewisham, pressed his emergency button at the Norfolk Lodge care home in Hunstanton at 8.35am on August 20 after choking on his breakfast in his room.
He was immediately visited by carers who found him lying on his back and struggling for breath. They called emergency services.
Today's inquest heard Mr Rodwell was transferred to Lynn's Queen Elizabeth Hospital where steps were taken to remove as much food as possible from his throat.
He continued to receive oxygen and showed signs of recovery before his health deteriorated and he died shortly after 1pm.
The court heard Mr Rodwell had a history of seizures and moved to Norfolk Lodge in 2014 following a stroke. He also had an operation on his hip following a fall.
The medical cause of death was stated as choking as a result of food aspiration.
A statement by the care home was read out in court which said: "He was a pleasant person to be around who kept himself to himself most of the time.
"He was a gentleman in every way and manner."
Senior coroner Jacqueline Lake concluded Mr Rodwell had died by accident after giving her summary.