Man escapes jail over King’s Lynn pub brawl

The crest above the entrance to King's Lynn Court in College Lane. ENGANL00120120910143711
The crest above the entrance to King's Lynn Court in College Lane. ENGANL00120120910143711

A man who threw a glass across a Lynn town centre pub, in what he claimed was an act of self-defence, has been spared prison.

Firit Kaygun, 35, was sentenced to 26 weeks in jail, suspended for two years, when he appeared before the town’s magistrates this afternoon.

There were audible sighs of relief from his supporters in the public gallery as the sentence was announced.

Kaygun had previously been convicted of affray for his role in a disturbance at the Globe Hotel in King Street, Lynn, on December 19, 2014.

CCTV footage showed him throwing a pint glass during the incident, before he was restrained by staff.

During two separate police interviews, Kaygun, who had been working at a town kebab shop at the time of the incident, maintained he had been acting in self-defence.

However, when he was shown the CCTV featuring him throwing the glass, he admitted he was “not conscious” of what he was doing.

And Fraser Harold, prosecuting, told the bench: “It’s always been the Crown’s case that what he did here was not reasonable. Throwing a glass in a busy restaurant area into a family area is not reasonable.

“Families would have been put in fear for their personal safety.”

However, Graeme Wilson, mitigating, said the brawl had spilled from the garden area, where his client was first assaulted by three men, back into the family area, where no children were present.

He said that after Kaygun was attacked, the same group then assaulted his friend, breaking his nose. One of the group also began throwing glasses towards them.

And he argued the resistance shown by the other group towards door staff who intervened showed they were “clearly intent on further violence.”

He added: “They (Kaygun and his friend) didn’t want to fight, but were forced to.”

Mr Wilson maintained his client had engaged in lawful self-defence up to the moment that he threw the glass.

But, passing sentence, presiding magistrate Robert Childerhouse told Kaygun that it was “more through luck than judgement” that the incident had not resulted in more serious injuries.

As part of the sentence order, Kaygun, now of East Street, Sittingbourne, Kent, must carry out 200 hours of unpaid work.

He was also ordered to pay £660 in prosecution costs, plus a £115 victim surcharge.