Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Hunstanton man Anthony O’Connell found guilty in King’s Lynn court after assaults at The Wash and Tope

A man assaulted three people at a town hotel during a violent outburst which saw him stamp on a woman’s fractured foot.

Anthony O'Connell, 53, of Green Lane in Thornham, was the subject of a trial at Lynn Magistrates’ Court this week.

He had been due to appear on Tuesday but did not. In his absence, magistrates found him guilty of three counts of assault by beating, as well as two counts of using threatening behaviour to cause alarm or distress, after he pleaded not guilty.

The Wash and Tope in Hunstanton, where Anthony O'Connell committed his offences. Picture: Google Maps
The Wash and Tope in Hunstanton, where Anthony O'Connell committed his offences. Picture: Google Maps

O'Connell had pleaded guilty to one additional count of assault by beating.

On Thursday, the court heard that the offences were all committed during an incident at The Wash and Tope hotel in Hunstanton back in November 2022.

O'Connell complained to a female member of staff that the glass of water he had received was cloudy. An argument ensued, and he threw the water over her.

He began to shout and swear, and refused to leave the premises. He then squared up to the staff member and pushed her, before looking down at her fractured foot and stamping on it.

Another man attempted to escort O'Connell from the venue, but he grabbed him by the collar and pushed him into a table, causing him to fall to the floor.

O'Connell was then eventually escorted from The Wash and Tope by a staff member and a customer, but he then proceeded to push one more victim, again causing them to fall.

None of those assaulted suffered any lasting injuries.

In mitigation, solicitor Ruth Johnson said O'Connell had been unwell on Tuesday, hence his absence from proceedings.

A warrant had been issued for his arrest after he failed to appear, but was later withdrawn.

“He is a gentleman who is still not particularly well,” Ms Johnson said.

“He is a gentleman who suffers with his mental health.”

Magistrates, having found O'Connell guilty of his offences, asked the probation service to complete a pre-sentence report before deciding his fate.

He will return to the Lynn court on August 29 to be sentenced.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More