Man jailed for attacking four people in King’s Lynn bar

The crest above the entrance to King's Lynn Court. ENGANL00120120910144054
The crest above the entrance to King's Lynn Court. ENGANL00120120910144054
Share this article
Have your say

A man has been jailed for 16 weeks today for assaulting two men and two women during a jealous rage at a Lynn wine bar.

Keiran Neary attacked Ostap Paparega, and staff members Courtney Beales and Hannah Price when they attempted to intervene during a fracas in The Rathskeller on the South Quay.

Lynn magistrates heard that Neary, 49, had been out at the restaurant with a group of friends on August 22, including Kevin Wilson and a woman he had previously been in a relationship with.

He left the venue and later returned at midnight to find Mr Wilson and the woman embracing in a kiss.

Giles Beaumont, prosecuting, said: “The defendant leapt across the table and punched Mr Wilson in the face. The victim said ‘What’s your problem?’ You aren’t even together’.

“The two female members of bar staff asked the defendant to leave, but he clearly wasn’t going anywhere and continued to be aggressive.”

Mr Paparega, who was a customer at the bar at the time, could see the staff’s attempt to get Neary to leave were being ignored, and decided to step in to help.

Neary then pushed Mr Paparega with both hands to his chest, causing him to topple over a chair and table and to hit his head on a door as he fell. He also pushed Ms Beales in the right eye with a clenched fist, causing her to fall to the ground as well, and grabbed Ms Price by the arm.

Both females said the incident left them shaken up and emotional, with Ms Beales having since given up her job at The Rathskeller as she no longer feels safe there.

In police interview, Neary told officers he was a recovering alcoholic and couldn’t remember what he had done.

Neary, of High Street, Lynn, appeared at the court this morning and admitted four charges of assault.

His solicitor, George Sorrell, said: “The incident came about as a result of a combination of alcohol and jealousy. He saw somebody embraced with this lady and he took umbrage to that.”

Following the delivery of a report by a probation officer, Mr Sorrell pleaded with the bench not to jail Neary and instead give him the chance to work with specialists who could treat his alcohol problem.

But the bench sentenced him to 16 weeks in jail on each count, to run concurrently. He was also ordered to pay a £150 criminal courts charge and an £80 victim surcharge.

As he was led away, a friend of Neary’s, who watched the proceedings from the public gallery, said: “See you at Christmas.”