Man jailed for injuring woman after King’s Lynn store raid

Aleksandr Kukuskins ANL-160505-180254001
Aleksandr Kukuskins ANL-160505-180254001

A man who seriously injured an elderly woman as he tried to escape following a theft from a Lynn supermarket has been jailed for two and a half years this morning.

Alexsandrs Kukuskins, 29, was sentenced at Norwich Crown Court, having previously pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm and theft.

Passing sentence, Judge Anthony Bate said he recommended Kukuskins, who returned to his native Latvia following the incident, should be deported after his sentence.

He said: “I regard your continued presence in England as not conducive to the public good.”

The court heard Kukuskins, who has 12 convictions recorded against him in just two years, pushed over Ann Banyard while trying to escape after stealing a bottle of whiskey from the Sainsbury’s store in Lynn’s Vancouver Quarter on the afternoon of April 6 last year.

Mrs Banyard suffered a severely fractured wrist, which has not been properly repaired despite two operations, and a fractured knee in the incident.

She now takes morphine every day to ease her pain and, in a victim impact statement, said things “would never be the same” following her ordeal.

Kukuskins, who was described by prosecutor Michael Clare as “an accomplished, professional shoplifter”, only pleaded guilty to the charges in March, having been arrested in Germany after leaving Britain soon after the incident.

Danielle O’Donovan, mitigating, said her client was suffering from drug and alcohol addictions and had sought successful treatment in his homeland during his absence.

She said he had “turned his life around” since the incident.

Miss O’Donovan said he had been working in Germany at the time of his arrest and was deeply remorseful for the injuries he had caused to Mrs Banyard.

The court was also told that he had been diagnosed with hepatitis C during treatment while on remand, and was also suspected to have the HIV virus.

Judge Bate said he accepted Kukuskins had not deliberately set out to injure Mrs Banyard, who watched the proceedings from the public gallery, during the incident.

But he said Kukuskins’ time in jail would be extended because of his decision not to “face the music” straightaway.

He added: “Your only thought, as it had been so often, was for yourself.”

Kukuskins was sentenced to 27 months for the assault on Mrs Banyard, with a further month, to run concurrently, for the theft.

He was also given a further three month sentence, to run consecutively, for failing to complete two community orders imposed before and after the incident.