Man was armed with metal pole during King’s Lynn street disturbance, court told

Court news from the Lynn News,, @lynnnewscitizen on Twitter
Court news from the Lynn News,, @lynnnewscitizen on Twitter
Have your say

A man, armed with a metal pole, fought two others on one of the main routes into Lynn town centre during a late night disturbance, magistrates have heard.

Ernestas Kaunaitis, 20, of London Road, Lynn, pleaded guilty to single charges of assault and possession of an offensive weapon when he appeared in court in the town yesterday.

Josephine Jones, prosecuting, said the incident happened shortly before 1am on January 31, as a group walked along London Road.

CCTV footage which was shown to the court showed the group heading in the direction of the South Gate as they passed a flat where Kaunaitis was sitting at a window with a friend.

Miss Jones told the bench: “They were heckled from an upper floor flat window by the defendant, who challenged them to a fight.”

He then walked down from his flat to the road, carrying a metal pole, which was thought to have been between three and four feet long.

Although members of the group took the pole from him, Kaunaitis then punched two of them in the face, sparking a further confrontation.

The CCTV footage showed members of the group chasing Kaunaitis off the pavement and into the road itself.

Further punches were thrown on both sides, the last of which caused Kaunaitis to fall into the road just in front of an arriving police car which had already been heading to the scene.

Officers, who had been alerted to the incident by CCTV monitors, then arrested Kaunaitis and seized the pole, the court heard.

When interviewed by police, Kaunaitis admitted shouting at the group from the window of his flat, but claimed they had also behaved in a confrontational manner towards him.

He said he had been drinking brandy with a friend when the incident happened and could not see why he had armed himself with the pole before heading down to the road.

However, representing himself at the hearing, Kaunaitis said he had been drunk at the time, but insisted he would not have hit anyone with the pole.

He added: “I thought some of them were going to hit me.”

The case was adjourned until March 16 for a pre-sentence report to be prepared. Kaunaitis was given unconditional bail until that date.

But the magistrates indicated they did not believe the case warranted a prison sentence.