Home   News   Article

'No burner bid yet', says West Norfolk Council report



More news, no ads

LEARN MORE


Council officials say they have yet to be told whether formal plans for a huge waste incinerator on the edge of West Norfolk have been lodged.

Campaigners fighting the proposed burner at Wisbech staged a protest outside Norfolk County Council's headquarters last month, amid fears developers MVV could submit their application within weeks.

But a new report from a senior West Norfolk Council figure suggests that still hasn't happened.

Campaigners opposing plans for a waste incinerator like this being built in Wisbech are lobbying the government. (53773761)
Campaigners opposing plans for a waste incinerator like this being built in Wisbech are lobbying the government. (53773761)

The borough is one of four host authorities for the plant, because the connections that would be needed to link the site to the electrical grid would cross the boundary between Fenland and West Norfolk.

Development portfolio holder Richard Blunt gave an update on the plan in his report to the borough council's scheduled meeting next Monday, April 25.

He said: "The Planning Inspectorate is required to notify all Host Authorities that the application for the MVV EfW CHP Facility has been submitted and gives 14 days for the Host Authorities to comment on whether they consider the community consultation undertaken is adequate.

Councillor Alexandra Kemp, centre, with protesters at County Hall in Norwich against a new incinerator on the Wisbech-West Norfolk border. (55756926)
Councillor Alexandra Kemp, centre, with protesters at County Hall in Norwich against a new incinerator on the Wisbech-West Norfolk border. (55756926)

"To date, no such notification has been received.

"However, once received, the Council will make a thorough assessment of the statement of community consultation which will be presented to and considered by Planning Committee and final comments will be submitted to the Planning Inspectorate within the 14 day period."

The borough council has already signalled its opposition to the incinerator idea, both by passing a motion pledging to oppose it in February last year and at a planning session in August.

However, Norfolk County Council has refused to state a position so far.

Opponents of the plan have also claimed that a consultation exercise carried out by the developer did not do enough to seek public views within West Norfolk.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More