Home   News   Article

Norfolk County Council savings plan 'could take another year', says report


By Lynn News Reporter


Norfolk County Council headquarters (2733575)
Norfolk County Council headquarters (2733575)

Work to plug a near £100 million shortfall in Norfolk County Council's finances is set to take longer than previously thought to complete, according to new proposals.

A report to be considered at a committee meeting next week is calling for savings to be found over a three-year period, up to the spring of 2022, rather than two years as previously suggested.

Officials say around £48.5 million of savings have already been identified, but more are needed to cover a funding gap worth almost double that, around £95 million.

Council leader Andrew Proctor said: “Having reviewed the budget with colleagues, I’m now proposing to see the savings delivered over three years, instead of two, simply because it’s more realistic.

“The problem still exists and will be addressed.

"This approach also gives us a bit more time to find additional savings by being more commercial in the way we do things – especially generating our own income.”

The proposal, which is due to be debated by the council's policy and resources committee on Monday, comes before work begins to set a budget for the 2019-20 financial year.

That process is due to start at departmental committees in the autumn.

But a separate report which is due to go to the same committee has warned that around £5 million of the projected savings for the current financial year may not be delivered.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More