Home   News   Article

New appeal launched marking 50 years since disappearance of Fakenham boy, 11

More news, no ads


The brother of a Fakenham boy who disappeared almost exactly 50 years ago has made a fresh appeal for help to find out what happened to him.

Steven Newing was last seen near his home in Lee Warner Avenue on September 2, 1969. He was 11 years old at the time.

Despite numerous potential sightings, he has not been seen or heard from since.

Steven Newing, who disappeared from his home in Fakenham 50 years ago (15928330)
Steven Newing, who disappeared from his home in Fakenham 50 years ago (15928330)

Now, his brother, Terry, has made a fresh plea for anyone who may have information about what happened to Steven to come forward.

He said: "I was the last person to see him and there is not a day goes by that I do not think of him and try to work out what happened.

"The effects have this have been profound on all our family.

"Our parents have since died without knowing what happened and Steven has an extended family who never met him, only knowing of him from newspaper cuttings and hearsay.

"However, I still believe that even with the passage of time the answers we need are there, and would urge anyone with any knowledge of his disappearance, no matter how trivial or insignificant, to please contact the police so that we can do something our parents were unable to do, lay him to rest, and get the closure we need.”

Steven was reported missing at 10pm on September 2, 1969. When he left his home he was wearing a blue roll neck sweater with a green and yellow sweater over the top, blue jeans with a cub’s leather belt, a green anorak and baseball boots.

A satchel, thought to be his, was found at a water tower near his home. However, he had left his bike at home and had no money with him.

Although unconfirmed sightings of Steven were reported on the A148 near Thursford, as well as in the Lynn area and around Sutton Bridge, nothing significant has been discovered.

But Andy Guy, the Major Crime Review and Cold Case Manager within the joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team, says he believes the case can, at last, be solved.

He said: "It is now half a century since Steven went missing and during this time we’ve received many different leads and pieces of information about his disappearance.

"Despite thorough investigations, we still don’t know what happened to Steven.

"His mother Jean sadly died five years ago, never knowing what happened to her son.

"Steven’s two sisters and brother are still hopeful of finding answers and we are determined to find closure for them.

"I strongly believe there are people alive today who may know what happened to Steven and we would always pursue any new credible information which could help us solve this mystery.”

Anyone with information should call the Major Crime Review Team on 01953 423819 or email unsolvedcasereviews@norfolk.pnn.police.uk.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More