Home   News   Article

Pub once used by Admiral Nelson re-opens in Burnham Thorpe after five years



More news, no ads

LEARN MORE


Admiral Nelson’s historical haunt has reopened after five years of closure.

The Lord Nelson pub in Burnham Thorpe opened its doors for the first time in half a decade last week, much to the delight of locals.

The pub, which was built in 1637, was originally called The Plough, became famous for it’s links with Admiral Horatio Nelson, a prominent historical figure from Norfolk.

The Lord Nelson at Burnham Thorpe - Hunt communications (47940850)
The Lord Nelson at Burnham Thorpe - Hunt communications (47940850)

In 1784 Nelson, then a young naval officer, spent many hours at the pub. He lived at the nearby rectory with ‘Fanny’ Nisbet, whom he married in 1787.

Today, the pub is currently decorated with historically relevant artefacts.

UGC image for Lynn News. (44304178)
UGC image for Lynn News. (44304178)
The Lord Nelson at Burnham Thorpe - Hunt communications (47940853)
The Lord Nelson at Burnham Thorpe - Hunt communications (47940853)
The Lord Nelson at Burnham Thorpe - Hunt communications (47940857)
The Lord Nelson at Burnham Thorpe - Hunt communications (47940857)

Greene King used to own the Lord Nelson, but closed it in September 2016.

The pub was registered as an asset of community value later that year, and put on the market for £350,000 at the start of 2019, it was then bought by the Holkham Estate, as part of a £1million restoration and extension works.

It is now run by Woodforde’s Brewery.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More