Queen opens new £5 million Wolferton pumping station
The Queen has opened a new multi-million pumping station, which officials hope will keep large parts of West Norfolk dry for decades to come, at Wolferton today.
The £5 million facility, which has been operating since last August, replaces a station which itself was opened by King George VI in 1948.
The Queen met senior officials and long-serving staff members during a short visit to the site, before being invited to press the red button and start the pumps.
More by this authorAllister Webb