Home   News   Article

Recreation area blocked off in West Norfolk village in response to travellers

Access to a popular woodland area has been temporarily blocked off by a parish council.

A square concrete block has been placed at the vehicle access for Millennium Wood on Sandygate Lane in Terrington St Clement.

The natural woodland area is the responsibility of the parish council who blocked the access in response to an influx of travellers.

The temporary concrete cube being used to block access to Millenium Wood
The temporary concrete cube being used to block access to Millenium Wood

Karen Treacher, the clerk of the council, said the move was also in response to complaints from a resident regarding damage to her car.

She added: “It [the block] was left to give the committee time to assess the situation regarding the access and agree proposed improvement works.

“The Council also had to prevent access whilst the barrier that had been removed was replaced and welded.”

After a council meeting was held on Thursday evening, it was agreed that an enhanced car access area and other improvements will be made to the site.

A user of the woodland area, Carole Hall, said the site is now only accessible for residents within walking distance because of the blockage.

“This is a lovely peaceful spot for picnics and dog walking,” Mrs Hall said.

“I have been told that it’s ‘too big a risk’ to allow vehicular access to the site in view of the recent ‘invasion’ (not my words) of the village by travellers.”

She came across the concrete block after intending to walk her dog last Monday.

“I do not think a traveller would get a vehicle onto the field because it is very narrow,” Mrs Hall added.

“Is there an ulterior motive?”

Police were called to Terrington St Clement on the last weekend of June after a group set up camp on Churchgate Way.

West Norfolk Council officials said the group voluntarily moved on following talks with a private landowner the day after arriving.

Terrington St Clement Parish Council added that any concerned residents should contact the council directly through telephone, email or visiting the council office in The Pavilion.

The council do not respond to Facebook complaints.

More by this author

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More