Retired headteacher publishes fifth book on West Norfolk schools
A former headteacher has published his fifth book on the history of secondary schools in Lynn.
Michael Walker, who was head of King Edward VII School, now King Edward VII Academy, from 1990 to 2002, has published his latest book Gaywood Park Schools, 1939 to 1979.
Mr Walker's latest work covers Gaywood Park Boys' and Girls' Schools from their opening at the beginning of World War Two to when the school became a comprehensive in 1979.
He said: "This latest book describes the Gaywood Park Boys' and Girls' Schools from their opening at the beginning of the Second World War to 1979 when the, by then, mixed school became comprehensive.
"The two single-sex schools were merged in 1972 under the headship of Tom Shephard and by 1976 it was the biggest secondary school in the country.
"The boys' school had five headteachers up to the amalgamation but the girls' school only two, Miss Kate Sherman and Miss Diana Bullock."
The book includes details of numbers on roll, the curriculum and organisation, examination results, HMI reports and extracurricular activities.
Mr Walker added: "The school's success in a wide range of sports is highlighted. The factual account is enlivened by amusing reminiscences of former pupils and staff from each era.
"The book has over a hundred photographs including some whole-school panoramas."
Mr Walker's previous books cover Lynn Grammar School, West Norfolk and King's Lynn High School for Girls, Alderman Catleugh Schools, and King Edward VII School.
To browse his other works, visit his authors page on Amazon via https://amzn.to/2IjKMoq.
His latest book Gaywood Park Schools, 1939 to 1979 is available from a number of online retailers as well as from Waterstones in Lynn.