Ryston Runners in gear for Silverstone

GEAR -RwvjtngLTvA138gS7DW
GEAR -RwvjtngLTvA138gS7DW
Have your say

Four Ryston Runners turned out at Silverstone motor racing circuit on Sunday to tackle the Half Marathon course, comprising three “laps”.

The first lap went round the circuit the right way, lap two used some of the internal service roads (including the perimeter road) and the third lap went back on the track going in the wrong direction.

Richard Dickson finished in 854th place with a time of 1:39:14. Wendy Fisher finished in 2:01:17, Sue Naylor in 2:19:16, and Sophy Tarsey in 2:26:55. All participants thoroughly enjoyed the event, which was run in chilly, breezy conditions.

Barry Smith took part in the Thetford Forest 10k trail run, finishing in 13th place out of about 100 participants in 45 minutes 15 seconds.

He commented: “The course was as challenging as last year and I knocked over 4 minutes off last year’s time even with a gammy leg.”

l David Marston and Tony Savage from Ryston ran in the first ever Vitality North London Half Marathon.

The great Mo Farah was there to start the race at 9.30am near Allianz Park, home of Saracens Rugby Club. Conditions were good – chilly and overcast with a light breeze. The route runs along Olympic Way and down to Wembley Stadium, which marks the halfway point and then back the same way for a big finish at Allianz Park.

There was lots of support along the route. It was very well organised with good medals and “goody bags” at the finish.

Tony reported himself “in bits” after achieving 1.34.49, 9th M50 and 356th overall out of 4713 finishers. David ran 1.47.18, 76th M45 and 1286th place overall.

l Eamonn McCusker flew the flag for Ryston in Grantham’s curiously named Newton’s Fraction Half.

On a decent day (not too cold and with a light wind), McCusker managed 1:41:21 to be first M60. Mile 11 is infamous with a long ‘1 in 8’ uphill.

He added: “That mile was ‘achieved’ in 9:05 and I was very pleased with that.”

l Organised by Ryston members Andy Harrod (front row third from right in the above picture) and Mick Ennis (middle, fifth from right) was the first of a weekly series of try outs of the GEAR course, starting at the Corn Exchange at 8am on Sunday.

There were very positive comments from participants.