Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Necton man Raphel Nicolaou in King’s Lynn court after assaulting ex-partner twice





A domestic abuser said he “doesn’t want anyone to look badly at him” after he assaulted his partner twice – causing her to hide in her daughter’s bedroom.

Raphael Nicolaou, 25, of St Andrews Lane in Necton, appeared at Lynn Magistrates’ Court on Thursday to be sentenced.

He had previously been set to face a trial in relation to three charges, but he changed his pleas to guilty on the day – December 13 – and admitted one further offence.

Raphael Nicolaou was sentenced at Lynn Magistrates’ Court on Thursday
Raphael Nicolaou was sentenced at Lynn Magistrates’ Court on Thursday

That meant that when he entered the dock on Thursday, he was to learn his fate after breaching a non-molestation order, sending grossly offensive text messages, and committing two assaults by beating.

The court heard from crown prosecutor Holly Postle that the victim of each offence was Nicolaou’s ex-partner.

The two assaults were committed on March 26 last year, while the indecent texts, WhatsApp messages and phone calls were sent between that date and April 6.

It was on May 2 that Nicolaou breached a non-molestation order, which had been made by Norwich Crown Court on April 13, by publishing an Instagram bio referring to the victim.

In a personal statement read out in court, the woman said it had been “hard suffering from someone me and my daughter had become dependant on”.

She felt as though she did “not deserve to be spoken to as a lesser human being”, and did not expect this behaviour from “someone you love”.

“That evening, I fled to my sleeping daughter’s bedroom to keep myself away from him,” she said.

“How can you do that to someone in their own home?

“The lack of remorse in the following weeks was unbearable. I will never forget this, and I will never forget what you have done.”

The victim added that the ordeal had also affected the friends who helped her through the “scary days”, and said: “I don’t know what I did to deserve this kind of behaviour, but I will do the right thing today and hold him accountable for it.”

Magistrates, chaired by Ginny Hutton, handed Nicolaou an 18-month community order for his offences. This will require him to complete 100 hours of unpaid work and up to 25 Rehabilitation Activity Requirement days.

He will also be the subject of trail monitoring for three months, while an 18-month restraining order was put in place which will prevent Nicolaou contacting his victim in any way.

He will pay £145 in legal costs and a £114 victim surcharge.

Mitigating, solicitor Ruth Johnson had said that when probation services carried out a pre-sentence report on Nicolaou, the defendant “wasn’t fully accepting his responsibility”.

“He is now apologetic, and doesn’t want anyone to look badly at him,” she said.

“He hopes people can look at him differently if he is given the chance to show them. He apologises for how he may have appeared in the pre-sentence report with his views on relationships.”



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More