SEE VIDEO: Woman, 67, injured by suspected shoplifter in King’s Lynn town centre

Have your say

A woman says she may never fully recover from her injuries after she was knocked to the ground by a suspected shoplifter in Lynn’s town centre.

Ann Banyard, 67, is now recovering at her home in Gaywood after undergoing surgery at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital following the incident on Monday.

Ann Banyard with her injury, Fairstead Est, King's Lynn ANL-150904-081646009

Ann Banyard with her injury, Fairstead Est, King's Lynn ANL-150904-081646009

A man is currently on bail over the incident, which happened near the Sainsbury’s store in the Vancouver Quarter at around 3.30pm, and police say their investigations are continuing.

Mrs Banyard said: “I was coming out of Sainsbury’s. I’d rung the taxi and was just walking through and, the next thing, I’m on the floor.”

It is believed she was pushed over by a man suspected of stealing a bottle of whiskey from Sainsbury’s, who was being chased by store staff and security officers at the time.

Mrs Banyard, who has osteoporosis and a spinal condition, suffered a broken arm and underwent surgery on Tuesday.

However, she said doctors had told her that her arm would not be the same after the injury.

And her family are also concerned about the psychological effects of the incident on Mrs Banyard, who was mugged in the town centre several years ago.

Daughter-in-law Tracy Whitby said she and her partner, Mrs Banyard’s daughter Lorraine Chalk, had wished they were the one who had been knocked over instead.

She said: “It took her a year to get the confidence back to go back up town. This is going to knock her right back.”

And Mrs Banyard said she couldn’t understand the reasons for the incident.

She asked: “Why? Just for a bottle of drink? If you can’t afford it, don’t get it.”

Asked if she had a message for shoppers, she added: “Be careful. Watch your back.”

A Norfolk Police spokesman said a 28-year-old man, who was detained by store staff and security officers over the incident, was subsequently arrested on suspicion of theft and assault.

He is currently on bail and has been told to report back to officers on May 20.

But Ms Whitby believes he should already be behind bars.

She said: “If he’s done it once, he’s going to do it again and who’s going to be his next victim? They might not be so lucky.”

Anyone who witnessed the incident, or who has information about it, is asked to contact PC Ian Sloan via the non-emergency 101 number.