Snettisham man, 19, slashed car tyres with knife while “very drunk”, court told

The crest above the entrance to King's Lynn Court in College Lane.
The crest above the entrance to King's Lynn Court in College Lane.

A 19-year-old man who slashed eight car tyres with a kitchen knife after a drinking session has escaped prison.

Jack Rose, of Goose Green Road, Snettisham, told police he couldn’t remember vandalising the vehicles because he had been “very drunk” at the time.

But magistrates told him it was his lack of previous convictions that stopped him from going to jail when he appeared in court yesterday.

Instead, he was sentenced to six weeks in jail, suspended for 12 months, having pleaded guilty to one charge of possessing a bladed article in public without reasonable excuse and two counts of criminal damage.

The sentences were imposed to run concurrently.

Before the terms were announced, mitigating solicitor Ruth Johnson told the bench her client would be “grateful” to retain his liberty.

The court had earlier heard two Volkswagen Golf cars were damaged in the incident which at around midnight on January 29.

Fergus Harold, prosecuting, said Rose was recorded on CCTV taking a knife from his trousers and slashing all four tyres on both vehicles, which were parked in a carport with it.

He was subsequently identified by police from the footage.

When later interviewed, Rose told officers he could not remember what happened because of the alcohol he consumed.

But Mr Harold suggested that made the offences more serious because of the potential dangers associated with carrying the weapon in public.

Miss Johnson said she had been assured that alcohol was not a problem in terms of dependency, though it was acknowledged it had brought Rose to the attention of the police.

But a probation report said Rose went out drinking three or four times a week with friends and the public should be protected from the potential consequences if he was not prepared to be rehabilitated.

As part of his suspended sentence, Rose was made the subject of a 12 week curfew, meaning he will have to remain at his home between 6pm and 6am each day.

He was also told to pay a total of £300 in compensation, £85 costs and an £85 victim surcharge.