Home   News   Article

Speed reduction needed due to potential car increase from Snettisham development, councillor says




A county and borough councillor has said the A149 speed limit needs to be reduced, especially with plans to build new homes in the area.

Speaking at a Snettisham Parish Council meeting on Wednesday evening, councillor Stuart Dark said reducing the speed limit on two sections of the A149 from 60 miles per hour to 50 is needed.

He also assured the meeting the speed cameras on the road are working.

General view of the A149 Coast Road near to the site of Prince Philip's Crash at the Babingley Crossroads Junction
General view of the A149 Coast Road near to the site of Prince Philip's Crash at the Babingley Crossroads Junction

The council are looking at improving markings and signage at several junctions along the route, as well as the possibility of installing a pedestrian crossing near the Common Road junction at Snettisham.

And he said that the works to the road would probably take place after the summer so that they did not clash with the tourist season.

Mr Dark also dismissed speculation that county transport chiefs were simply reacting to the Duke of Edinburgh’s crash at Babingley last year.

“This was prepared well in advance of the crash. There are an awful lot of rumours flying around,” Mr Dark said.

With an outline planning application being put forward for 69 new homes at the Poppyfields site in Snettisham, Mr Dark said the potential for increasing vehicles would require a speed reduction.

He told the meeting: “With the Poppyfields site, there is the potential for 70 odd car journeys in and out of the A149 every day.

“So reducing the speed limit to 50mph if necessary if we are getting that development.”

Pigeon Investment Management are going to submit an application for the borough council to consider for the new Poppyfields homes.

Representatives told the parish council that there was a deficiency of open space in the village, and that the development would be in line with the Neighbourhood Plan.

Snettisham councillors unanimously approved plans for new homes on the greenfield site.

Andrew Fillmore of Pigeon Investment Management said 30 per cent of the dwellings would be affordable houses.

Mr Dark advised the property company to use local labour if the application is approved by West Norfolk councillors when the application is presented in full.

Mr Fillmore responded: “We are at the outline stage and it would take 2 to 18 months after the initial outline stage is granted, so we do not know where we are in terms of work contractors we would be using.

“Normally when building in an area with good transport links, we tend to use more local builders.”


Read more

More by this author



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More