Firefighters had to empty a neighbouring swimming pool as they tried to tackle a blaze which was destroyed a bungalow in Barroway Drove last night (Monday, September 21).
A bungalow in The Drove has been gutted by the flames which were sparked by an electrical fault in a shed or garage. Luckily the home was empty at the time of the fire.
The bungalow had been on the market and the for sale sign was only put up on Sunday.
Firefighters from Downham, Lynn South and North, Wisbech along with the water carrier from Fakenham were called to the site at 10.15pm and spent most of the night there.
Station manager of Lynn North Joe Warns said their efforts had been hampered by a lack of water.
He said: “It was completely engulfed by fire when I arrived. The main problem was the adjoining properties were very close and both had slight damage.
“The hydrant was a long away and we ended up using a neighbour’s swimming pool. Because of the remoteness of the area, the hydrants don’t have much pressure.”
The fire was reported by neighbours, who were evacuated during the blaze.