The Nelson pub in Burnham Thorpe sold
A pub where Norfolk's greatest hero spent many an hour supping a pint has been rescued by the Holkham Estate.
It has agreed terms with Suffolk-based pub retailer and brewer, Greene King, to purchase The Lord Nelson pub in Burnham Thorpe.
Burnham Thorpe was the birthplace of Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson.
Originally named The Plough, the pub is known to have been frequented by Nelson when he returned to the Burnham Thorpe in the 1780s and 1790s. It was renamed in his honour in 1798 after the battle of the Nile (Abu Qir).
The village of Burnham Thorpe is located a few miles inland from the beautiful north Norfolk coastline between the villages of Holkham and Burnham Market.
The Holkham Estate has taken the decision to invest in this important local landmark at a time when many local pubs are closing.
The Lord Nelson is a focal point of the village positioned facing the River Burn, the village recreation grounds and the bowls club.
Holkham Estate said it would be working closely with the local stakeholders to refurbish, improve and successfully reopen the pub, offering food, drink and a social hub for residents and visitors as well as creating jobs in the village.
The pub was closed in September 2016 and was on the market for £350,000.
Greene King closed the pub, originally opened in 1637, after a row with the former landlords Debbie and Peter De Groeve. Allegations that they took items of historical interest when they left were vehemently denied.
The pub holds the same long benches, called settles, Nelson sat on, as well as its original stone floor.