Visitors, staff and volunteers at RSPB Titchwell Marsh are having fun supporting the RSPB’s national campaign to Defend Nature against what the organisation sees as the weakening of EU Nature Directives.
They are even taking selfies to attract attention to the cause!
The EU Nature Directives are in place to protect the most important wildlife species and habitats in the UK and Europe. They drive the fundamental aspects of conservation in the most important places – from managing sites and protecting them from development, to protecting species from human persecution.
However, these laws are now under review and at risk of being weakened, claim the RSPB.
Protected nature conservation areas like RSPB Titchwell Marsh and RSPB Snettisham have been established to ensure the long term survival of Europe’s most valuable habitats and species,
including those that might be endangered. Species such as hen harrier, terns and a range of European and internationally important seabirds rely on the protection afforded by the Nature Directives.
On December 16, UK Environment Minister, Rory Stewart, will be going to Brussels to meet his counterparts from across Europe to talk about what needs to be done to halt and reverse the loss of our wildlife by 2020. We want him to know he’s got support from across the UK to help him to defend the EU Nature Directives.
The RSPB urge supporters to carry out the following measures to support the campaign.
1. Write an email, from your personal email address, to your MP before 9 December, asking him or her to contact Rory Stewart so he defends the Nature Directives on behalf of the UK public on 16 December.
2. Tweet to Rory Stewart “I’m backing Rory Stewart @DefraGovUK to #DefendNature
3. Take a #defendnature selfie – in front of your favourite spot at RSPB Titchwell Marsh or species protected by the Directives.
4. Encourage friends and family with a love for special places and wildlife to join the fun and/or write an email too.
5. Talk to the people you meet about the places they love and encourage them to support us by pointing them to the website.