Residents could take matters into their own hands unless urgent action is taken to address build-ups of rubbish in part of Lynn, a local businessman has warned.
Francis Bone, who runs the Gravy Boat in Loke Road, has launched a petition, urging officials to work with the community in the North End area of the town to find a solution.
But council chiefs have insisted they are trying to engage with residents to find a solution and will target those responsible for the problem.
Although the issue has repetedly dogged the area in recent times, Mr Bone says it has worsened again in the past few weeks.
He claimed that, although rubbish was collected from the area on Thursday, it had been allowed to gather for up to a month beforehand and was only collected following complaints from residents themselves.
And he says dialogue is needed between residents, West Norfolk Council and its contractors in order to solve the problem once and for all.
In his petition letter to the council, he wrote: “The community is incensed by this current stance and together the community will have this resolved.
“If you choose to ignore this correspondence, the residents of North End will take a further stance that may be of embarrassment for the council.
“I feel the most logical way forward to deal with this is to hold a meeting with the community, contractors and the council so people can express their dismay and offer suggestions on how to make improvements for the better of the local area.
“I feel if we all act together on this, there will be a resolution.”
The issue was raised at Thursday’s full council meeting, where environment portfolio holder Ian Devereux insisted officials were trying to bring the situation under control.
He said: “There has been a serious situation. The teams have been working hard with local residents getting the feeling of what’s going on.
“It’s clear there are a lot of misconceptions about what the council can and can’t do.
“It’s hopeful before too long some enforcement action will take place and it will continue.”
But Mr Bone believes the current problem is largely not the fault of people living in the area.
He said that “only a minority” were now leaving rubbish in alleyways, which people have been told not to do.
He added that he had been told the issue was being exacerbated by people from other areas fly-tipping waste and inappropriate removal of property left behind by former residents of rental properties.
He also suggested some residents were prepared to install their own CCTV cameras to catch those responsible for dumping waste if the authorities were not prepared to do so.
Ward councillor Andy Tyler, who raised the rubbish issue at the council meeting, has also backed the idea of a regular community liaison mechanism for ensuring the rubbish doesn’t pile up.
He said: “I think a regular group of us all monitoring this situation is necessary.”