Home   News   Article

Watlington woman died after ingesting poisonous plant, inquest told

A 24-year-old woman from Watlington died after intentionally consuming poisonous plant matter, an inquest has heard.

Bethany Johnson, who suffered from depression, died at Lynn’s Queen Elizabeth Hospital on April 16 this year, the hearing in Lynn was told today.

The inquest heard that Miss Johnson became unwell after consuming the poisonous plant – which had been taken from The Walks – on the afternoon of April 16, and she was taken to the QEH by paramedics.

Red Mount, Lynn, The Walks (21556601)
Red Mount, Lynn, The Walks (21556601)

Staff attempted to resuscitate Miss Johnson on a number of occasions but she died later that day.

Area coroner Yvonne Blake read an extract from a note written by Miss Johnson that asked those closest to her not to “cast blame” and spoke of her hopes for her young son to go on “adventures” in the future.

Ms Blake concluded that Miss Johnson’s death was suicide.

Inquest (21556319)
Inquest (21556319)

She said: “Her letter does demonstrate to me that she knew if she did this, she would die. There is no evidence of severe mental illness which might stop her from rationalising things.”

“She had obviously been through quite a lot in the last few years,” she added.

The causes of death were given as intentionally ingesting poisonous plant matter and depression.

Members of Miss Johnson’s family thanked hospital staff for their attempts to save her life.

They said: “Just to say thank you for everything you tried to do for a very long period of time. We do appreciate what the staff tried to do.”

Miss Johnson’s father, Greg Johnson told the inquest he felt there was “a lack of education and information for recognising the symptoms of depression and how badly it could go”.

Read more

More by this author

This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More