Plans to set up a task group examining the future of West Norfolk Council’s scrutiny processes have been formally approved by members.
The proposal was backed by members of the authority’s ruling cabinet earlier this month, before being ratified by the full council at its meeting on Thursday.
The move follows criticism of the council’s previous scrutiny practises contained in a review carried out by the Centre for Public Scrutiny.
Its staff will be staging a workshop with all councillors to seek their views and ideas on the way forward.
Labour group leader John Collop said he was happy with the recommendations as far as they went.
But he warned: “The proof is in what happens after we have the meeting with the people that are going to talk to all councillors.
“We just hope that the administration will take everything that has been said by all members on board so we can go forward with this.”
But, in response, council leader Nick Daubney asked: “Why wouldn’t we listen?
“The whole point of the group is that all opinions are taken on board, so let’s work together to come up with a scrutiny regime that’s better for all of us.”