With regard to Turnstone letter, November 10. The land that was proposed for housing development on the Manor fields has not belonged to Le Strange since the year 1925. The hill was also condemned by Charles A Le Strange in 1897 at a meeting in Heacham.
The owner of Heacham Hall was was Charles Edward Strachan who was the principal landowner of the quarries of carrstone that are now filled with water as fishing lakes.
The manor house, now hotel was in the 15th century, a priory. The land from the manor house to the top of Redgate Hill has always been known as chalk, a soil not good for crops. The grassland which is now a golf course, was always flooded and is part of the reclaimed marshland extending from Wootton Marsh Farms to Hunstanton, which was flooded every year until the 1953 flood bank. The Oasis Way was constructed in 1973 and then the manor field was wheat. The land owner lost out on a poor crop and sold it for housing, that’s all it’s fit for.
Heacham council has got its own problems with the village drainage system – Station Road, the site off Lodge Road and bottom of Cheney Hill.
The system is overloaded. On the land south of Oasis Way, all of the that field never ever was carrstone and it was condemned as not being good enough for agriculture. The boundary post for Hunstanton is north of Oasis Way, John Maiden.
If Heacham joins Hunstanton, hopefully we would have another council.
Name and address supplied.