Bluebirds fly to top of the table after beating King’s Lynn

No Caption ABCDE ANL-151215-112604001
No Caption ABCDE ANL-151215-112604001
Have your say

Evo-stik Southern League

Premier Division

Chippenham Town 4

King’s Lynn Town 1

King’s Lynn Town conceded four goals for the first time this season as the Bluebirds flew to the top of the table.

A brace from Andy Sandell and further efforts from Alan Griffin and substitute Oli Taylor saw Chippenham home.

The final outcome had looked a little shaky 15 minutes from time when King’s Lynn halved the deficit and were looking the stronger side.

But a stunning strike from Sandell put an end to Lynn’s gritty fightback.

Playing up the Hardenhuish Park slope, Chippenham restricted the Linnets to mainly long-range efforts in the first period.

An early chance for the hosts saw Alex Ferguson’s eighth minute cross deflected to Griffin who shot into the side netting.

The Bluebirds opened the scoring completely out of the blue in the 37th minute.

Griffin headed on a clearance and Sandell found himself 25 yards out with two defenders closing in.

Sandell hit a speculative low shot that caught Lynn shotstopper Alex Street unawares and the ball flew past the keeper’s legs to give the hosts a half-time lead.

Lynn manager Gary Setchell sent his troops out early after the interval and despite facing the elements and the slope Lynn went on the front foot from the off.

Kauppinen was forced to punch away a Michael Clunan free-kick.

Two further free-kicks saw the second headed wide by Matthew Castellan with Chippenham’s Harry Grant receiving a yellow card.

At the other end Griffin’s outstretched leg just failed to connect with Matt Jones’s cross whilst Lynn’s Jacek Zielonka shot wide on 53 minutes.

Three minutes later, Chippenham doubled their lead when Street dropped Jones’s deep free-kick under pressure from Griffin.

Sandell’s initial shot was blocked but the ball fell to Griffin who fired home from close range.

Lynn defender Ryan Fryatt, making his 200th appearance for the club, was booked by referee Mark Russell for taking his protests too far in the aftermath.

Lynn top scorer Lee Stevenson scooped a close-range effort over the bar after a rare mistake by the Chippenham rearguard while Lee Smith’s shot was blocked.

As the Linnets went 4-2-4 substitute David Bridges’ foray into the area ended with Kauppinen diving on the ball.

Lynn’s pressure was rewarded 16 minutes from time when the Bluebirds’ defence failed to clear a cross from the right and Stevenson drove a shot across Kauppinen.

Sandell then rounded three defenders before playing Matt Smith in but his shot was deflected for a corner.

The game was made safe in the 82nd minute after Michael Pook’s long throw found Sandell with his back to goal and he spun and thumped an unstoppable 40-yard screamer past Street. The scoring was completed when substitute Taylor headed home three minutes from time.

Chippenham: Kent Kauppinen, Chris Allen (Jay Malpass 88), Harry Grant, Michael Pook, Greg Tindle, Mark Preece, Alex Ferguson, Matt Smith, Alan Griffin (Oli Taylor 83), Andy Sandell, Matt Jones (Ben Whitehead 88). Subs not used: Ryan Campbell, Charlie Norman

King’s Lynn Town: Alex Street, Ryan Fryatt, Jordan Yong, Kern Miller, Matthew Castellan, Lee Smith, Michael Clunan, Liam Hurst, Jacek Zielonka (Jack Friend 85), Lee Stevenson, Sam Mulready (David Bridges 66). Not used: Toby Hilliard, Liam Fryatt, Sam Gaughran.

Ref: Mark Russell (Bristol).

Att: 427.

l Tomorrow’s trip to Cambridge City has been postponed as they are involved in the league cup.