Canaries prolong poor start to new King’s Lynn Town season

MLNF Nantwich ANL-150225-154614001
MLNF Nantwich ANL-150225-154614001
Have your say

Southern League Premier Division

Hitchin Town 2 King’s Lynn Town 0

King’s Lynn Town’s poor start to the new Southern League season continued as they suffered their third defeat in four games at Top Field on Monday night.

Goals from Jonny McNamara and home substitute Robbie Burns handed Hitchin their first win of the campaign.

The final damage could have been much worse had it not been for the heroics of Linnets goalkeeper Alex Street (pictured).

Street made a string of fine interceptions, including an early penalty stop, to thwart the on-song Canaries on a number of occasions.

The Linnets made three changes from the side which lost at home to Bideford on Saturday.

One was enforced with Ryan Fryatt replacing the injured Jordan Yong at left-back, while David Bridges was brought into the team at the expense of Liam Hurst and Ross Watson replaced Jackson Ramm in the right-back berth.

Lynn camped in the Hitchin for the opening ten minutes without threatening the home target.

Hitchin’s first attack of the game led to them being awarded a penalty in the 12th minute.

Jonny McNamara exchanged passes with Simon Martin before being brought down in the box by Street, who appeared to get some of his hand to the ball.

Justice was done a few seconds later though when Street kept out Lewis Rolfe’s spot-kick with a brilliant save down to his right.

Callum Donnelly blazed over the woodwork a few minutes later as the Canaries began to find their feet.

Lynn responded with a quick counter of their own and, after being fouled on the edge of the box, Michael Clunan picked himself to curl a free-kick just wide of the target.

The hosts took the lead midway through the first half when the tricky McNamara placed his shot under the body of Street after dispossessing Sam Gaughran on the edge of the box.

As the half draw to a close, Lynn were indebted to Street for two excellent saves.

The Linnets shotstopper denied Martin with his feet before using the same part of his anatomy to foil the tricky McNamara - a target of big-spending St Neots in the summer - a few seconds later.

Lynn began the second period as they had started the first, forcing the Canaries back.

Bridges saw his stinging shot brilliantly kept out by Charlie Horlock while Lee Stevenson fired a free-kick over the woodwork.

But for all of their pretty football, Lynn lacked penetration in the final third of the field and had no plan B when the going got tough.

A double change saw Hurst and Jacek Zielonka replace Bridges and Sam Mulready respectively as Lynn shuffled their pack in an effort to find a way back into the match.

But it was the hosts who looked more likely to add to their tally with a Dan Webb header forcing the busy Street into another save.

A last-gasp tackle by Jackson Ramm, Lynn’s third substitute, denied McNamara a certain second but the home faithful didn’t have to wait much longer when Burns pounced on some shabby Lynn defending to double Hitchin’s advantage in the 74th minute.

Lynn left the field having scored one goal in their opening four encounters.

Hitchin Town: Horlock, Smith, Bickerstaff, Ann, Webb, Pearson, McNamara, Donnelly, Martin (Burns, 46), Rolfe, Kirkpatrick.

Goals: McNamara (24), Burns (74).

Bookings: None.

King’s Lynn Town: Street, Watson (Ramm, 65), R. Fryatt, Miller, Gaughran, Marshall, Clunan, Bridges (Hurst, 60), Speight, Stevenson, Mulready (Zielonka, 60).

Booked: Ramm.

Referee: Mr W. Finnie.

Attendance: 351.