Cherr-y on the cake for King’s Lynn Leaguers Chilvers after record win

Sport news from the Lynn News,, @lynnnewssport on Twitter
Sport news from the Lynn News,, @lynnnewssport on Twitter
Have your say


Sponsored by Double G Clothing


Chilvers made it four Cherrington’s in a row on Sunday after seeing off England’s Hope 2-0 at The Walks.

Chilvers have, remarkably, never been beaten in the Cherrington Cup after their first involvement in it in 2012/13.

Chilvers faced league champions England’s Hope who were on leg two of their treble bid, but alas, it was Chilvers who emerged victorious after a hard-fought, but deserved win.

The first half was a battle with the ball stuck in midfield and both teams cancelling each other out.

Neither goalkeeper was tested and it certainly wasn’t a game for the faint-hearted with both teams trying to eke out an advantage.

It was Chilvers who broke the deadlock when a cross was swung in towards the back post and somehow Ash Keegan beat both goalkeeper and defender to the ball to nod home.

Chilvers had Kris Smith to thank for that lead going into half time after he somehow tipped an effort up and over the bar.

The second half saw a bit more football played with Hope chasing the game, but that’s a dangerous place to be given the attacking talent Chilvers possess.

With Kyle Plumb and Liam Bowley holding the Hope frontline at bay, man of the match Ash Keegan won the game late on with a left-footed strike into the bottom corner from outside the box.



In a battle of Division Two powerhouses, CR Eastern and Heacham faced each other in the QEH Cup Final, also at The Walks.

The first half was, well, a drab affair to say the least.

Not much was created and neither keeper was really tested although a poor throw out from the CR Eastern keeper went straight to a Heacham forward who then rasped a shot against the post.

The second was a world away from the first and saw plenty of action at both ends.

CR Eastern’s pacy front line of Curtis Morais and Brad Key were causing all kinds of problems and kept finding themselves through on goal only to be thwarted by last-ditch tackling, poor finishing or the offside flag.

Heacham took the lead when a header back to the CR Eastern keeper somehow squirmed through his legs and Ryan Kirby was on hand to smash into an empty net.

CR kept pushing for an equaliser and late on got it when Morais found himself with only the keeper to beat and volleyed home from 16 yards out.

Morais then found himself, with only a minute remaining, back in the same position with only the keeper to beat but this time rattled the bar so hard, the crossbar’s ancestors would have felt it.

In extra time Heacham made most of the running, spurning a number of chances to win the tie.

After 120 minutes and the scores still tied it went to penalties.

Morais and Key tormented the Heacham defence most of the day, but it was Sam Pishorn’s save from their penalties that helped Heacham win 4-3 on penalty kicks to become the first-ever winners of the QEH Cup.

We wish to say congratulations to all sides for making the finals, and ultimately, Chilvers and Heacham for winning.

There was a huge turnout to watch and thanks to all the spectators for coming along to support.

Also, the biggest thank-you of all to Gary Setchell and all at King’s Lynn Town FC for allowing the KLS L to return its cup finals to where they belong.