Dersingham SC do double after penalty shoot-out

Dersingham with the trophy
Dersingham with the trophy
Have your say

Lynn & District Sunday League sponsored by West Norfolk Scaffolding


An absolute belter of a final took place on Sunday at Wisbech Town FC as the final went all the way to penalties.

The Hardy Sheen Cup is for teams in Division Two and Three only and brought the best of the best to the final.

Division Two champions Sutton St James, looking to complete a treble, faced Division Three champions Dersingham Social Club, who were looking to complete a double.

Both sides fancied their chances and Sutton were very slight favourites going into the final, and soon justified that tag by racing into a 1-0 lead inside the first minute when Adam Groves slotted them into a 1-0 lead.

This goal didn’t crush Dersingham, and in fact, had the opposite effect, as they now seemed galvanised and more determined to force the game.

Dersingham become increasingly into the game but struggled to find the target with a lot of wayward and post-bound shots.

Half-time came with Sutton only 1-0 up, but defending well.

Anton Ely has saved Dersingham numerous times this season and Sunday was no different as he stood up to Sutton’s mean defence and lashed home from outside the box to get Dersingham back into the game.

Despite Dersingham seeing a lot of the ball, they were still vulnerable to a very potent Sutton attack on the counter.

Time and time again Sutton broke free but found keeper Sean Bowman and the Dersingham defence in fine form.

The paintwork on both goals was starting to erode now with the amount of efforts hitting the post and bar but Dersingham found that killer touch with 6 minutes to go when Ely headed in his second goal after Sutton failed to clear.

Game over? Not today. Sutton were given a lifeline when they got a free kick on the edge of the box, which was curled home beautifully by Stu Easey.

Extra time was a much quieter affair but both teams dangerous on the break. No goals came, so penalties it was.

Both teams missed their opening penalties and then scored all their following penalties until Sutton missed their seventh, leaving Dersingham to win 6-5 on penalties.

We wish to thank all at Wisbech Town FC for their hospitality.


Horsepigs hosted Chilvers in the final game of the Division One season and a 13-goal classic it turned out to be.

Paul Richardson 3, Jon Sykes and Lee Maplesden got Horsepigs on the scoresheet 5 times, enough to win most games, but not this game, as Chilvers smashed in 8 through James Tricks 5, Danny Jezeph, Jack Johnson and Kris Smith.


Tilney GL finished in style by seeing off Farmers Arms 5-1, with Jason Chilton scoring all 5.

Mark Brassett replied for Farmers.

If you are interested in entering a side next season, or want some information on entering, please email for more information.