Franks fires Ghosts through in Vase

Sam Garner, who set up the 2nd Fakenham goal. Tony Miles
Sam Garner, who set up the 2nd Fakenham goal. Tony Miles
Share this article
Have your say

Fakenham Town 2

Mildenhall Town 1

By Ed Colman

Fakenham Town are through to the next round of the FA Vase after overcoming Mildenhall at Clipbush Park.

The Ghosts left it late but secured their place in the next round thanks to an 87th minute winner from Matty Franks.

After the game, Fakenham boss Wayne Anderson told the Lynn News he was delighted with the result and the performance: “It is a great result for us.

“The lads did an excellent job today and worked really hard to get into the next round and I am really proud of the way we played and the way we have started the season.”

After a slow start Anderson’s side created the first chance of the afternoon, after 17 minutes, when James Page headed Sam Garner’scross over the bar from close range.

Six minutes later Alex Steed created the visitors’ first chance of the afternoon as both sides started to cancel each other out.

Fakenham’s best chance to break the deadlock fell to Ben Boyce on the verge of half time but he couldn’t turn Matt Dye’s cross past Josh Pope in the Mildenhall net.

Sam Garner produced another good save from Pope straight after the re-start and just two minutes later Boyce opened the scoring with a powerful left footed finish from within the penalty area, giving his side a deserved lead.

The visitors responded well and Tommy Rix was needed to keep out Craig Nurse’s penalty after 55 minutes, after Daniel Tuddenham bought down Steve Holder.

With quarter of an hour to play, Mildenhall found an equaliser against the run of play as Adam Borroughs headed home a deep cross.

With extra time looming Mildenhall hit the woodwork through Borroughs but Matty Franks scrambled the ball past Pope, after a frantic goal mouth scramble to put the Ghosts ahead with 87 minutes played.

The visitors were reduced to ten men in stoppage time. David Cooper was sent for an early bath after taking out Boyce and Fakenham recorded a deserved victory after a battling display.

After the game Ghosts boss Anderson was left delighted with the quality of the two goals his side produced.

He said: “We scored two very well-worked goals from playing the ball through midfield or getting it out wide and getting it into the box. For the first, it was a bit of magic from Robbie to drag the defenders towards him then play in Ben Boyce who leathered it home.

“The second, we got the ball out wide and Sam put in a brilliant delivery to the front post and Franksy was there with a late run as he saved some energy in the tank, which is what we want him to do now Stephen Harvey is alongside him in midfield.”

Next up for the Ghosts is a trip to Thetford Town tonight, where they have the chance to move up to fourth spot with victory.