King’s Lynn Town boss remains positive despite third straight defeat

No Caption ABCDE
No Caption ABCDE

Southern League

Premier Division

Slough Town 3

King’s Lynn Town 0

Ian Culverhouse reflected on the positives despite seeing his injury-hit side suffer their third successive defeat at Arbour Park.

The Linnets boss was more than happy with his side’s display in a game that saw midfielder Conor Marshall return to action after 18 months on the sidelines.

Lynn were sunk by goals from Chris Flood, Simon Dunn and Enver-Marum, but Culverhouse said: “I can have no criticism of the lads out there.

“They have kept going until the end and the effort they have put in for me is something that has pleased me.

“There is positivity amongst the group because they are youngsters and are learning about the game, the main point is that they continue to learn.

“I was disappointed in the way we conceded although I have to accept that I got the initial formation wrong.

“Once we changed things slightly I thought we looked that bit more comfortable.”

On Marshall’s belated return to the fold, Culverhouse said: “I am also pleased for Conor. That was his first senior outing for 18 months and to last 55 minutes was a good effort.

“He will hopefully be involved with our remaining four games this season as I want to have a good look at him.”

Young striker Ryan Harnwell, only making his second senior appearance for The Walks outfit, also drew praise from the Lynn boss.

“Ryan was strong – he held the ball up well and absolutely ran his socks off for the team. We did a little bit of individual coaching with him in the week and yes, I’m pleased with him.”

It took the hosts just seven minutes to find a way through Lynn’s make-shift defence.

Poor marking allowed Flood to open the scoring from a James Dobson free-kick at the far post.

Slough increased their lead on 25 minutes when Dobson’s deep cross was volleyed back across by Warren Harris for Dunn to sidefoot past Street.

Goalkeeper Alex Street produced a point-blank save to deny Flood his second four minutes later before Harnwell and Toby Hilliard missed half chances for Lynn.

Any hopes Lynn had of salvaging something from the game ended five minutes after the restart when Enver-Marum scored his first goal for the Rebels having run through the heart of the Lynn defence before rounding Street.

The same play had a further chance just minutes later but headed over from Harris’s cross.

Lynn’s best chance of the game came late on when substitute Dylan Edge headed straight at keeper Shaun Rowley.

Slough Town: Rowley, Fraser, Stonehouse, Hollis, Smart, Togwell, Dobson (Putman 80), Dunn, Enver-Marum (Bunting 64), Flood, Harris (Webb 62). Sub not used: Nisbet.

Scorers: Flood 7, Dunn 25, Enver-Marum 50.

King’s Lynn Town: Street, Zielonka, McLeish, Cartwright, C Ward, Marshall (Lennon 55), Clunan, Everington, Hilliard, Harnwell (Edge 72), Warburton (McQuaid 64). Sub not used: Congreve.

Booked: Ward, Everington.

Attendance: 607.