King’s Lynn Town still unbeaten against Cirencester but Hawkins seriously injured

Have your say

Southern League Premier Division

Cirencester Town 1 King’s Lynn Town 1

King’s Lynn Town protected their long, unbeaten record against Cirencester in a game that was marred by a serious injury to Lynn’s Ryan Hawkins.

The Linnets’ striker was stretchered off with a seven-inch gash to the leg that fellow players understandably thought he had broken.

Following an initial stoppage while Hawkins was treated on the pitch, the game was suspended for a second time when an air ambulance landed on the Corinium Stadium pitch.

But after Hawkins was attended to by the paramedics he was transferred to Cheltenham Hospital by more conventional means.

Cirencester had made a fine start with a headed goal from Gethin Jones in the 11th minute which was cancelled out by a Shaun McWilliams strike as Lynn drew their 15th game of the campaign.

After the game, Linnets assistant boss Lee Stevenson told the media: “We have let ourselves down again today with a lack of firepower up front.”

“We also started slowly. It’s something we have talked about at length and it’s something that we have tried to put right, but unfortunately for us it’s happened again today.

“In some games we seem to have to go a goal behind before we start playing – maybe we should start every game a goal behind.”

The only change to the Lynn starting line-up from the side that drew against Leamington saw Lee Stevenson come in for Kurtis Revan.

Cirencester bossed the opening 20 minutes and took the lead on 10 minutes when Alex Street failed to claim Kerry Morgan’s corner and Gethin Jones was allowed a free header.

McWilliams had Lynn’s first chance from distance on 14 minutes but his effort sailed wide.

The Centurions nearly doubled their lead on 20 minutes but Sam Gaughran produced a crucial block to deny Alan Griffin.

Lynn equalised totally against the run of play on 27 minutes.

Cirencester’s Aidan Bennett saw his shot from a corner charged down and Lynn broke with clinical style with Michael Clunan and Sam Warburton linking well to set up McWilliams for a finish to a brilliant move.

The equaliser sparked Lynn into life and they proceeded to have the hosts on the rack for the remainder of the first half.

Michael Clunan volleyed wide and Stevenson headed home a Hawkins centre, but it was ruled out for offside.

Just before half-time Dan Quigley forced Glyn Garner into a good save.

Lynn continued the second half where they had left off the first with McWilliams again trying his luck from distance which was clawed away by Garner.

Hawkins was then left in a heap in the box following a bad challenge which went unpunished by the referee

The game was stopped to allow the air ambulance to land on the pitch and the players once again left the field.

After a delay of around 20 minutes, Lynn suffered a second injury blow when Ryan Fryatt was forced off the fiel with an ankle injury.

Both teams had chances to win the game once it restarted.

Griffin saw his shot saved by Street, McWilliams had an effort tipped over and a long-range Adam Connolly lob was saved under the bar.

The hosts went close to claiming the points when Alex Street pulled off a fine one-handed save to deny Dan Demkiv.

Cirencester: Garner, Diaz-Benitez (Brown 58), Bennett, Mortimer-Jones, Coupe, Liddiard, Connolly, A. Griffin, Demkiv, Morgan. Subs not used: Spalding, Elliot, C. Griffin.

Booked: Connolly, A. Griffin.

Scorer: Jones 11.

Lynn: Street, Zielonka, Fryatt (Smith 77), Gaughran, Ward, Quigley, Clunan (Hilliard 82), McWilliams, Hawkins (Revan 58), Stevenson, Warburton. Sub not used: Yong.

Booked: McWilliams.

Scorer: McWilliams 27.

Attendance: 110.