Late ten-man Magpies raid dents King’s Lynn’s play-off hopes

MLNF 12.3.16
MLNF 12.3.16
Have your say

Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division

King’s Lynn Town 1 Dorchester Town 2

MLNF 12.3.16

MLNF 12.3.16

Nathan Walker struck twice for the ten-man Magpies who performed a late smash and grab and dented King’s Lynn Town’s play-off aspirations at The Walks.

The frontman struck in the final minute of either half as Lynn’s five-game unbeaten run was ended in disappointing fashion at The Walks.

His opener on the stroke of half-time put the Magpies – making their first trip to Norfolk since 2003 – in front.

But their cause wasn’t helped when Franklyn Clarke was dismissed for a second bookable offence in first-half injury time.

MLNF 12.3.16

MLNF 12.3.16

Lynn levelled matters through Jacek Zielonka with 19 minutes to go, but their hopes of keeping tabs on the top five were dealt a major blow when Walker scored his second goal a minute from time.

Lynn were without Ryan Fryatt through illness with Sam Gaughran taking the right-back role.

It was he that created Lynn’s first chance in a bright start for the home side picking out David Bridges but Magpies’ ‘keeper Shane Murphy raced off the line to save Bridges’ attempt with his legs.

The bulk of Lynn’s first half chances fell to Lee Stevenson – the closest being on 38 minutes when his hooked shot over Murphy was cleared off the line by Nick Crittenden and moments later Murphy dived at Bridges’ feet as Lynn began to dominate.

The Magpies had other ideas and created a chance with Neil Martin heading wide but soon after they took the lead.

Martin, unchallenged, centred from the left and his cross was headed goalwards by Nathan Walker who prodded home after Street had saved his initial effort with his legs.

A running feud between Michael Clunan and Clarke culminated in Clarke picking up his second yellow of the afternoon in first half stoppage time. Clunan picked up his 10th yellow of the season and was lucky not to be have been punished earlier when he appeared to slap Clarke.

Lynn looked to take advantage of the extra man and pressed forward on the restart. Stevenson put the ball over from 10 yards and then saw his header, from Jordan Yong’s cross, tipped over.

Zielonka’s third goal of the season from the edge of the box gave Murphy no chance.

Lynn pressed for the winner which looked to have arrived on 87 minutes when Sam Mulready set up Liam Hurst for a dramatic miss.

The hosts paid the price in the next minute when Walker scored his second goal of the afternoon, latching onto a long ball and slotting home.

Lynn nearly pulled a goal back when Alex Street went up for a corner and got on the end of a loose ball but fired over.

With Clunan injured and looking at a two-match suspension over Easter and Lee Stevenson also picking up a knock – plus most results, other than the Hungerford defeat – this was a day best forgotten.

Lynn (4-1-4-1): Street, Gaughran, Miller (Mulready 58), Castellan, Yong, Clunan (Hilliard 82), Hurst, Smith, Bridges, Zielonka, Stevenson (Edge 90+2). Subs not used: Friend, Pearson.

Booked: Clunan. Goal: Zielonka (71).

Dorchester (4-1-4-1): Murphy, Crittenden, Smeeton, Jermyn, Lander, Dillon, Clarke, Bowles, Walker, L. Holmes (T. Holmes 67), Martin. Subs not used: Tarbuck, Brookes, Proffitt, Walker-Harris.

Booked: Bowles, T. Holmes.

Sent-off. Clarke (two yellows). Goals: Walker (44, 89).

Referee: O. Morris-Sanders (Ipswich).

Attendance: 523.