Linnets made to pay for missed chances on travels

A clean sheet for Matty Castellan and Alex Street. ANL-160318-165904001
A clean sheet for Matty Castellan and Alex Street. ANL-160318-165904001


Premier Division

Slough Town 2

King’s Lynn Town 0

A brace from Lee Barney condemned the Linnets to a second successive Southern League Premier Division defeat.

The Walks outfit were made to pay for a host of missed chances at Holloway Park and Gary Setchell’s side have now gone 302 minutes since last finding the back of the net.

Lynn made one change from Tuesday’s defeat with Liam Hurst replacing Toby Hilliard in the starting line-up.

The hosts started quickly, with Barney breaking down the left and trying to cut the ball back for Warren Harris, but the ball was cleared.

Two minutes later, Dan Hicks clipped a pass in for Lewis Putman, but his volley rippled the side netting, although the winger was flagged for offside.

Linnets striker John Sands twice went close.

The striker saw his header from a Michael Clunan free-kick well tipped away by Mark Scott, before hitting the post with a good effort from outside the box following a pass from Lee Smith.

Sands threatened again as he flicked an audacious effort just over and Liam Hurst went closer still, seeing an attempted lob from the edge of the box cleared off the line by Harris.

The hosts took the lead 14 minutes before the break through Barney as he coolly slipped the ball through the legs of Alex Street from Gurkan Gokmen’s pass.

Neat link-up play between Harris and Putman almost resulted in a second goal, but Barney, under pressure from the Lynn defence, put it behind for a goal kick from six yards.

Lynn finished the first period with three efforts from outside the box, but The Rebels held on to their one-goal advantage going into the interval.

In the second half, Lynn enjoyed much of the possession, without troubling Scott between the Slough posts.

Two minutes after the restart, Nathan Webb nodded the ball through for Barney, who scuffed his shot but still forced Street to save with Harris lurking at the back post.

Webb later had an effort ruled out for offside, whilst Hurst’s screamer from distance flew just wide of the post.

Lewis Putman also saw a low shot well held by Street before Lynn cranked up the pressure in the closing stages.

Scott blocked a Sands’ strike with his legs and comfortably saved from Lee Stevenson, who also blasted a free-kick wastefully over the bar from a dangerous position.

Two minutes into added time, Barney finished from close range after Putman beat his man and pulled the ball across goal.

Slough: Scott, Fraser, Dhillon, Hollis, Hicks, Hope, Putman, Webb, Barney, Gokmen, Harris (Parsons 64). Unused subs: Grant, Raju.

Booked: Fraser.

Scorer: Barney (31), (90+2).

Lynn: Street, R. Fryatt, Yong, Castellan, Miller, Smith (L. Fryatt 65), Clunan (Edge 76), Hurst (Hilliard 71), Mulready, Sands, Stevenson. Unused subs: Zielonka, Friend.

Attendance: 338.