Linnets return to winning ways in derby

MLNF 'Tim Smith'Sam Mulready ANL-150213-153333001
MLNF 'Tim Smith'Sam Mulready ANL-150213-153333001
Share this article
Have your say

Southern League Premier Division

King’s Lynn Town 4 Histon 2

King’s Lynn Town returned to winning ways by seeing off old foes Histon in a six-goal thriller at The Walks.

The King’s Lynn Town starting line-up showed five changes from the team which lost at Redditch United on Saturday.

Defender Matthew Castellan, Lynn’s recent signing from Swaffham, was handed his first team debut, while striker Jack Friend was given his first full start.

Sam Mulready, Jake Speight and David Bridges were also given the nod as Linnets boss Gary Setchell rang the changes from the weekend.

Lee Stevenson, Jacek Zielonka and Liam Hurst all dropped to the bench while Kern Miller was ruled out with a hamstring injury and Conor Marshall was missing due to other commitments.

The Linnets were given an early let off when Ryan Auger’s effort skimmed the woodwork after two minutes.

Lynn responded immediately and a good move down the left involving Jordan Yong and Friend led to Toby Hilliard’s shot being deflected behind for a corner.

Castellan missed a golden opportunity to make a dream start in a Lynn shirt when he skied an effort over the woodwork from eight yards out.

The chances continued to flow at both ends with the visitors guilty of wasting a number of efforts to get their noses in front.

Josh Oyinson scuffed a shot wide before Auger picked out Jordan Nicholson with a peach of pass which saw the Histon man cut inside Jordan Yong before placing his shot wide with only Alex Street to beat.

Midway through the half, Oyinson raced clear of a static Lynn defence but his strike was too weak to really trouble Street.

Hilliard’s long-range effort was headed off the line by Danny Rumens, Ryan Fryatt’s scorching shot from 25 yards rattled the post before Danzel Gerrar pulled of a stunning point-blank save to deny Mulready.

The deadlock of an end-to-end first period was finally broken in the 42nd minute.

Ryan Auger’s lofted pass over the defence found Sam Ives to slide home.

Lynn equalised just before the break when Fryatt’s cross was palmed away by Gezzar but Sam Mulready was on hand to bury the rebound.

Lynn introduced Stevenson at the break.

The first real chance fell to the visitors, but Castellan was on hand with a goal-saving tackle to prevent Oyinson from scoring.

Just after the hour, Histon’s Nicholson wasted another chance when he tamely shot wide.

Lynn took the lead on 70 minutes, a scramble in the box resulted in the loose ball falling to Liam Hurst who whipped home.

The next minute saw Jordan Yong make the score 3-1.

Cutting free of his defender, Yong drilled the ball off the far post from the edge of the area.

With seven minutes remaining substitute Zielonka saw his shot tipped onto the bar but Mulready was on hand to put home the rebound.

With all substitutes used Lynn were reduced to ten men when Michael Clunan limped off injured.

Stutes substitute Matthew Meacher pulled a goal back just before time from distance to make the final score 4-2.

Lynn: Street, Fryatt, Yong, Castellan, Gaughran (Hurst 56), Bridges, Clunan, Mulready, Hilliard, Speight (Stevenson 46), Friend (Zielonka 69) Subs not used: L. Fryatt and Frohawk.

Scorers: Mulready 45, 83, Hurst 70, Yong 71.

Histon: Gerrar, Trotman, Tilney, Key, Rumens, McGowan, Freeman (Meacher 79), Auger, Oyinson (Relizani 60), Ives, Nicholson. Subs not used: White, Fulcher and Utteridge.

Scorers: Ives 42, Meacher 90.

Attendance: 466.