Razor sharp Thomson is keeping lucky Lynn beard

Share this article
Have your say

FA Trophy

Second Qualifying Round



King’s Lynn Town 3

Stourbridge 1

Superstitious frontman George Thomson will not be looking for his razor any time soon following King’s Lynn Town’s FA Trophy victory on Saturday.

The man with the ‘magical’ beard has vowed not to shave until at least the end of this season as his scoring streak for the Linnets continues.

MLNF 'Tim Smith

MLNF 'Tim Smith

Saturday’s latest brace took his tally to 18 for the season and Thomson (22) has now netted 12 goals in the last eight games which he has started for the club.

Lynn’s progression to the the penultimate qualifying round wasn’t sealed until the dying minutes, but it was no more than Thomson and his team-mates deserved.

Thomson said: “I will be keeping my beard until the end of the season and I’m quite superstitious to be fair so it won’t be coming off anytime soon.

“I always put things on my left leg before my right, I leave my laces done up until I’ve done the first part of the warm up, iced bath on a Friday night.



“There’s loads of little things I do and I seem to be adding to them each week.”

On Saturday’s victory, Thomson said: “It was a great game for us to bounce back in and we didn’t want to go to Buxton on Tuesday having lost another game.

“It was great to get another two goals, but as long as the team is winning that’s the most important thing and if I can contribute to that then great.

“If I don’t score again this season and we still finish in the top five then that will do me.”

Lynn dominated the early exchanges, but had goalkeeper Alex Street to thank after he raced off his line to smother George Bowerman’s effort midway through the first half.

Just a few minutes later, Lynn were in front when Michael Frew picked out Thomson with a peach of a pass and the frontman dinked home past Dean Coleman in the visiting goal.

Thomson saw another sizzling strike hit the woodwork before Stourbridge levelled matters when Drew Canavan played in Jordan Fitzpatrick to slip the ball past Street.

The game continued to be played at a frantic pace in the second period with Lynn surging forward at every opportunity and The Glassboys always a danger on the break.

Lynn hit the woodwork for a second time when full-back Jordan Yong let fly from 25-yards, only to see his stunning strike crash back off the crossbar, before Gregg Smith’s follow-up was brilliantly kept out by Coleman.

A breakaway move involving both David Bell and Thomson allowed Smith to stab home Lynn’s second.

Then in time added on, Thomson saw his penalty palmed away, but he gobbled up the rebound to continue his remarkable run in front of goal.

Setchell said: “I thought we were unlucky to go into half-time at 1-1. We played as well in the first 35 minutes since the Ilkeston game at home.

“We passed the ball magnificently. It was a high-energy, power-packed performance. As bad as they all were on Tuesday, I think all of our players were really good today.”

Lynn (4-4-1-1): Street, Ramm, Fryatt, Eze, Yong, Frew (Stocker 70), Bridges, Bell, Jones, Thomson, Smith (Watson 90+3). Subs not used: Colman, Ward. Booked: Smith, Ramm. Goals: Thomson (29, 90+2), Smith (89).

Stourbridge (4-4-2): Coleman, Ramsey-Dickson, Geohaghon, McCone, Haynes, Till, Fitzpatrick, Canavan (Morgan-Parker 87), Brown, Smikle, Bowerman. Subs not used: Tye, Kalenda, McPike, Hill. Booked: Ramsey-Dickson, Brown, Smikle. Goal: Fitzpatrick (38).

Referee: A. Crysell. Attendance: 547.