Setchell praises King’s Lynn Town FC side after Weymouth draw

No Caption ABCDE ANL-150812-151352001
No Caption ABCDE ANL-150812-151352001
Have your say

By Greg Plummer

evo-stik Southern League Premier Division

King’s Lynn Town 0

Weymouth Town 0

King’s Lynn Town boss Gary Setchell was full of praise for his side after they dented Weymouth’s play-off aspirations while enhancing their own hopes of achieving a top-ten finish.

After an entertaining goalless draw at The Walks, Setchell said: “I really enjoyed that game of football.

“Weymouth are a very good team and it will be a shame if they don’t make the play-offs.

“You had them pushing for the play-offs and us pushing for pride. We kept our integrity and both teams went at it hammer and tong.

“I thought my back four played really well and Pedro (Alex Street) played really well.”

Linnets goalkeeper Street stood between the Terras and a healthy first-half lead at The Walks, before the hosts enjoyed the better of the second period.

Opposing boss Jason Matthews admitted that his side may now be “needing snookers” if they are to make the play-offs.

Matthews said: “It was two points dropped, it’s as simple as that. You have got to be ruthless. We had chances.

“We couldn’t score the goal so it was a very frustrating day at the office.

“For me, that was the hardest game we will have between now and the end of the season.”

Weymouth had the first chance with Street tipping Jordan Copp’s shot onto the post with seven minutes on the clock.

John Sands replied for Lynn soon after, testing Jason Matthews from an acute angle, after being played through by Michael Clunan.

Play continued at a fast-and-furious pace on a sticky surface following heavy overnight and morning rain.

Weymouth’s Stewart Yetton peeled off Toby Hilliard and looked like he had found the net with a diving header, but Street brilliantly pushed the ball round the post.

A mistake by Matt Castellan gave Yetton another chance but Jordan Yong was on hand to clear off the line with Street beaten.

The second half saw Weymouth continue to look the most likely to score with George Rigg shooting over and Ben Thomson being foiled by Street.

Ryan Fryatt saw his headed effort go over from a set-piece as Lynn came more into the game.

Lee Stevenson then rattled the woodwork for the hosts with a thunderous free-kick from 30 yards as Lynn finished the game strongly.

“They had the better of the first half and their number seven caused us all kinds of problems,” admitted Setchell.

“I wanted to keep Sandsy and Stevo at the top of the pitch, but then you are in danger of getting over-run in midfield.

“We put Smudger (Lee Smith) in the second half to combat this and as the game went on I thought we looked the more dangerous of the two sides.”

Lynn: Street, R. Fryatt, Yong, Miller, Castellan, Bridges (Mulready 80), Clunan, Stevenson, Friend (Smith 56), Sands (Zielonka 70), Hilliard. Subs not used: L. Fryatt, Hurst.

Booked: Miller, Smith, Stevenson, Castellan.

Weymouth: Matthews, Wells, Cooper, Lowes, Wannell, Brooks, Molesley (Shephard 70), Rigg, Yetton (Sills 80), Thomson, Copp. Subs not used: Winsper, Brown and Boore.

Booked: Wells, Cooper.

Attendance: 514.

Table on back page.