Ten-man Lynn battle back to reach the next round

MLNF-10-10-14 sport
MLNF-10-10-14 sport
Share this article
Have your say

Norfolk Senior Cup

Fourth Round

Caister 1

King’s Lynn Town 3

Ten-man Lynn came from behind to progress in the Norfolk Senior Cup on Wednesday night at the expense of Anglian Combination outfit Caister.

Goalkeeper Luke Pearson was shown a straight red card in the first half at Emerald Park, but a weakened Lynn team showed their character to book their place in the next round.

The first chance of the match went the way of the Linnets. A pinpoint pass from Liam Fryatt found Robbie Palmer, whose first-time effort stung the fingertips of Caister goalkeeper Kinsley Barnes.

Danny Heller fired over for the hosts but they didn’t have to wait long before taking the lead. Lynn’s Alan Burch was unlucky to head against an opposing player and the ball ran through for Allen Barrett to coolly lob Pearson.

Things went from bad-to-worse for Lynn in the 30th minute when Pearson was sent for an early bath for handling outside his penalty area.

The versatile Palmer donned the gloves, with Tom McLeish replacing striker Jack Frohawk.

Makeshift frontman Chris Ward levelled soon after the restart when he converted a fine piece of work by Fryatt.

Four minutes later, substitute Nelson Moreira was the provider for the impressive Fryatt to fire Lynn in front.

Ward then rattled the woodwork from distance before Lynn wrapped up an impressive comeback following a fine individual effort from Moreira.

Lynn: Pearson, Palmer, Burch, Ward, Spittlehouse, Stannard, Biles (McQuaid 70), L. Fryatt, Frohawk (McLeish 30), Stocker, Coe (Moreira 58).

n Former Lynn defender John Neal, who went on to manage Wrexham, Middlesborough and Chelsea, has died at the age of 82.

Born in Seaham, County Durham, he made 60 appearances for Hull City from 1949-1956.

Signed from The Tigers in 1956 by then-Lynn manager Paul Todd, he made 55 appearances for the Linnets, picking up a winner’s medal in the Norfolk Senior Cup and a finalist’s medal in the East Anglian Cup.