Travel-sick Linnets let two-goal lead slip

Have your say

EvoStik League

Premier Division



Grantham Town 3

King’s Lynn Town 3

King’s Lynn Town let a two-goal lead slip as they were still left searching for their second away win of the campaign.

Two goals in four first-half minutes put Lynn firmly in control, but it was left for Henry Eze to salvage a late share of the spoils after Grantham had fought back to take a 3-2 lead early in the second half.

Once again, it was individual defensive errors which denied the Linnets from coming home with all three points from The Meres.

Lynn boss Gary Setchell said: “My feelings are total devastation really. We’ve scored three goals away from home four times this season, but we’ve only got one win out of it.

“We played great in the first half-an-hour. We knocked the ball about well, created three or four good chances and scored two good goals.

“But defensively we’ve hit the self-destruct button again. A straight ball we didn’t defend properly and for their third goal Henry (Eze) has tried to shield it and got robbed.

“This has been a feature of our season, especially away from home where we struggle not to concede goals on the road.

“Teams like Grantham have set-up realising that. They kept going and going, thinking we’d give them a goal and low and behold we did.”

With The Walks outfit having not won away in the league since August and Grantham having not won at home since early November perhaps a draw was the inevitable outcome of this game.

Yet with half-an-hour gone Lynn looked to be cruising, dominating midfield and two goals in four minutes putting them firmly in control.

Lynn took the lead midway through the first period when an interchange between David Bell and Steve Spriggs resulted in Bell’s cross finding Sam Mulready to open the scoring from three yards out.

Four minutes later Lynn went two up when Spriggs was adjudged to have been fouled by Will Rawden and Leon Mettam scored his first goal for Lynn from the penalty spot.

On 31 minutes, however, indecision in the Lynn defence saw them fail to clear a free-kick and Ben Saunders prodded home from ten yards.

Grantham took control after the break and the Gingerbreads levelled on 51 minutes through Scott Hellewell after Lynn had failed to deal with a cross.

The Linnets went behind for the first time shortly after when Eze was dispossessed by Paul Grimes and his ball through gave Saunders his second goal of the afternoon.

Eze redeemed himself with an equaliser three minutes from time when he headed home from Dan Quigley’s knock on.

Grantham: Haystead, Purcicoe (Kay 32), Rawden, Johnson, Hellewell, Miveld, Meadows, Lewis, Grimes, Saunders, Emmott. Subs not used: Bilyk, Newman, Divver, Rhule. Booked: Miveld, Haystead. Scorers: Saunders 31, 57, Hellewell 52.

Lynn: Street, Stocker (Smith 61), Yong, Eze, Fryatt, Bridges, Bell, Quigley, Mulready, Mettam, Spriggs. Subs not used: McLeish, Biles, Colman.

Booked: Mettam, Bell, Smith, Street, Mulready, Eze. Scorers: Mulready 22, Mettam 26 (pen), Eze 87. Attendance: 292.

l King’s Lynn Town Reserves’ home clash against Team Bury in Thurlow Nunn Division One fell victim to a frozen pitch.