Home   Sport   Article

Grimston Cricket Club host Mark Redhead Memorial match

More news, no ads


Looking resplendent in its summer glory, the Grimston Cricket Ground was a fitting location for the annual Mark Redhead Memorial Match, which pitted the current first team against club legends.

Played in memory of former club captain Mark Redhead, the family fun day saw more than 200 guests in attendance, enjoying the Bar, BBQ, and bouncy castles which were kindly laid on by the Redhead family.

A total of £2000 was raised on the day, which will be put towards the running of the club and the continuation of Mark’s legacy. In addition to this, a thrilling match was played out to the assembled spectators.

Mark Redhead Memorial (48955341)
Mark Redhead Memorial (48955341)

This was the first Memorial match to feature the club’s new covers provided by WWS and sightscreens kindly donated by Rob High of Advance Engineering

The day itself was sponsored by Nick Carter of CSS, and Lord Henry Bellingham spoke in memory of Mark Redhead during the interval for tea.

Grimston first team won the toss and elected to bat, with Steve Bishop and Archie Ward opening the batting in the summer sunshine.

Both fell to P. Hudson, with Bishop caught-and-bowled, and Ward clean bowled and this set the tempo for much of the innings, with a blistering legends bowling attack wreaking havoc with the first team batsmen. Callum Gurbutt, Mark Tilbrook, and Jamie Frost were the standout performers for the first team, scoring 28, 33, and 19-not-out respectively.

Grimston first team finished the innings on 110 all out.

With a modest total to chase, the Legends team set about playing a calm and measured innings, with solid performances from M. Osborn, J. Redhead, and T Anderson all of whom scored well.

Callum Gurbutt led the first team bowling charge, picking up four wickets including a delightful caught-and-bowled to end Anderson’s innings, with Tom Wallace also contributing two wickets.

As the game approached its climax in the final over, Martin Redhead and M Barber were forced to play an attacking game, and came within only 10 runs of overhauling the target set by the first team – ultimately coming within a whisker as the final wicket fell.

Reflecting on the match, legends captain Martin Redhead said: “It was a great game, we came so close and gave a great account of ourselves. More importantly, we have raised money for the club and had the kind of day Mark enjoyed.”

Grimston are next in league action on July, 25, at home to Snettisham, with a 1pm start.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More